Splunk Search

How to use values from outputlookup file?

Mike6960
Path Finder

I created a outputlookup  file with just one column

...My search | table D_ID 

| outputlookup Total.csv

I want to use the data in a new search like a subsearch but results are 0 while I am certain the events exists

Is there also a max limit when using inputlookup ?

...My search [| inputlookup Total.csv]

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Mike6960 ,

did you created the Lookup and the Lookup Definition before outputlookup?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

Mike6960
Path Finder

@gcusello I first created the outpoutlookup then I tried the inputlookup

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Mike6960 ,

did you created also Lookup Definition ? I'm not speaking of lookup.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

Mike6960
Path Finder

@gcusello  ...I suspect I am doing somthing wrong? I thought if I create a outputlookup file I could use these results in a inputlookup ?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Mike6960 ,

I ask you for the third time: did you created the Lookup Definition in [ Settings > Lookups > Lookup Definitoions ]?

You cannot use a lookup without Lookup Definition.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

Mike6960
Path Finder

@gcusello No I didn't, I thought this wasn't necessary because I use inputlookup and not lookup. I went through a lot of Splunk docs and questions but I can't find a answer. As far as I now understand is that lookup and inputlookup are two different things. By further evaluation I suspect that the max limit of 50000 is the problem. The outputlookup contains more then 100.000 results per day. I guess the number of results is just to much for Splunk to handle if you want to use results from another search in a new search 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Mike6960 

this is surely a problem

try to save results in a summary index instead a lookup

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK, so you wanted to output more than 50k results into a lookup table then use with an inputlookup in a subsearch to generate a set of conditions?The default result limit for a subsearch is 10k so it's not gonna work. Anyway, a search with 10k conditions can hardly be called very effective 😉

0 Karma

Mike6960
Path Finder

@PickleRick well, I don't know if would call a set of ID's conditions. I was just trying to use those ID's as input. Kind of like a join. But now I know this is not possible 

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A set of ids contained within a lookup is just a lookup but when you do

[ | inputlookup whatever.csv ]

in your search, it's getting rendered as

(( field1=value1 field2=value2 [...])  OR (field1=valuea field2=valueb [...]) OR [...] )

so it effectively becomes a set of conditions for your main search.

But yes, with too many rows in your lookup you're hitting limits.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do the events you're searching have a field called D_ID?

0 Karma

Mike6960
Path Finder

Yes

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try

...My search [| inputlookup Total.csv|format]
0 Karma

Mike6960
Path Finder

@ITWhisperer  when adding the Format the search keeps on the status 'parsing job' 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It sounds like you have too many rows in your lookup file which is breaching the limits on search sizes.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...