Splunk Search

How to use rex to isolate fields with double quotes?

Foss
Engager

Hello I am trying to isolate 'msg' field with multiple quotes and when I use rex is either cannot grab what I need or it continues through the data and doesn't stop, thanks!

outcome="Success"msg="The "Account is trusted for delegation" property was modified from No to Yes"cs3="

I have tried | rex field=_raw "msg=\"(?<msg>[^\"]+)" with no success.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you cannot predict how many quotes will appear in this "field", there  is no general solution.  Your best bet is to bet on that "cs3=" will follow "msg" field.

| rex "msg=\"(?<msg>.+)\"\s*cs3="

If that is not the case, you can try matching exactly even (0, 2, 4, ...) quotes inside quotes, like

| rex "msg=\"(?<msg>([^\"]+\"){0,2,4}[^\"]+)\""

View solution in original post

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you cannot predict how many quotes will appear in this "field", there  is no general solution.  Your best bet is to bet on that "cs3=" will follow "msg" field.

| rex "msg=\"(?<msg>.+)\"\s*cs3="

If that is not the case, you can try matching exactly even (0, 2, 4, ...) quotes inside quotes, like

| rex "msg=\"(?<msg>([^\"]+\"){0,2,4}[^\"]+)\""

Foss
Engager

thank you for the feedback, that worked nicely!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...