Splunk Search

How to use rex extracted field value in another search

gcharles
Explorer

I have a search like the following:
index="trans" source="logfilename" "ErrorCode=81009" requestid = "*ABC*"
| rex field=requestid "-(?.*)$"

This search finds me instances of the 81009 error and then extracts a UID from the request ID (request IDs look like abc3232-ABC123ab45.

I would then like to take the values extracted, now stored in the UID field and perform a whole different search:

index="secondarydata" app="payments-service"
| rex field=breadcrumb "-(?.*)$"

(then something like the below)
| where UID = UID2

I am trying to take the UID from the first search and find data from a second search that also has that UID present.

I am not aquainted enough with join/subsearch and such but I assume I need to use something like that...

Tags (3)
0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

First implement these field extractions to be automatically done, instead of relying on rex.

Then you can do:

index="secondarydata" app="payments-service" [search index="trans" source="logfilename" "ErrorCode=81009" requestid = "*ABC*" | table UID]

The subsearch will run first and will result in (UID="abc" OR UID="def" OR ...) that is embedded in the outer search.

0 Karma

gcharles
Explorer

Sorry, can you explain more because it has not helped.

I can see that the subsearch will result in a table like the following:

UID
---------
ABC45678
asfsdfdef434
etc...

But how am I to then try and find events in the secondarydata index using anyone of the results in the table?

For instance (not worrying about field extract at the moment):

index=secondarydata app="payments-service" 
    [search index="trans" sourcetype=kvp" "ErrorCode=81009" requestid=*AU* 
    |  table requestid] camel.breadcrumbId = requestid

I just want to see the log events from the secondarydata index in the search results that have the same requestid's that were found in the subsearch.

Further, I would also like to do a wildcard match using the UID/requestid where the end of the search might be:
camel.breadcrumbId = *requestid*

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

"not worrying about field extract"

As I mentioned: you need to have the UID field extracted properly (automatically, not with rex) before this solution can work.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi gcharles,
You can extract the field using the Field Extractor or, having the regex, create a new field in the Fileds section.
Then you have two choices:

• if you have to use it only in the same App, shate the field att App level,
  • if you have to use it also in other Apps, shate the field att Global level.

You have to connect the field to a sourcetyoe, check if the regex extract always the correct values.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...