Splunk Search

How to use an if on Tags ?

djacquens
Path Finder

Hi,

I am new to SPLUNK/SPL and I am wondering how can I check if the Tags field contains a tag "foo" within an eval.

Something like:

eval toto = if("tags{}" == "foo", 1,2)'

Thanks,

David

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No, you can't simply use wildcards in field names. But you can try one of two approaches.

If you indeed have multiple tags.* fields parsed out, you can try combine them into a single string (or a multivalue field) using foreach and then search on that field. Ugly but should work.

Or you can use spath to extract the tags section into a separate field and then just use a regex match. Also ugly. 😉

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ahhhh... So it's not a tag in terms of "normal" splunk tags. It's just that you have a section of your json event called tags and it has some fields inside.

Does it parse properly? If so, you should probably have fields called tags.*.

So your problem is that you want to find a value among a set of fields.

I'm not sure you can use wildcards in fields specification.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No, you can't simply use wildcards in field names. But you can try one of two approaches.

If you indeed have multiple tags.* fields parsed out, you can try combine them into a single string (or a multivalue field) using foreach and then search on that field. Ugly but should work.

Or you can use spath to extract the tags section into a separate field and then just use a regex match. Also ugly. 😉

djacquens
Path Finder

OK thank you very much.

I used spath:

| spath tags{} output=toto
| eval aa = if(mvfind(toto, "tag_searched")>0, "A", "B")

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

| eval mvfind(tag,"foo")

0 Karma

djacquens
Path Finder

Thank you @PickleRick

I tried using mvfind but without any luck.

index = "phantom_container" earliest=-1d 
| dedup id
| eval foo = if(isnull(mvfind(tags, "xyz")), «A» , «B»)

tags_tenantid.png

I guess I am not using the correct syntax to access the tags field.
I have the same issue with the field tenant_id.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

David

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...