Splunk Search

How to use a lookup file to search for ip addresses in my logs?

jcaron9999a
Explorer

I have a lookup file called ipaddress.csv.  The column title in the file is ipaddress.  I want to search my logs for all of these ip addresses.  I know I need to use inputlookup to get the addresses from the file, but I can't figure out how to then feed them to a search.

Thanks in advance

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is a subsearch, where the inputlookup is used as a subsearch

your_base_search [ | inputlookup ipaddress.csv | fields ipaddress ]

Here the subsearch ([] section) runs first and returns a structured piece of text with 

ipaddress=A OR ipaddress=B OR ipaddress=C

and so on to the outer search. Note that if your ip address field in your main index search is something different, then before the fields command, you should do a rename

| rename ipaddress as your_ip_field

View solution in original post

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is a subsearch, where the inputlookup is used as a subsearch

your_base_search [ | inputlookup ipaddress.csv | fields ipaddress ]

Here the subsearch ([] section) runs first and returns a structured piece of text with 

ipaddress=A OR ipaddress=B OR ipaddress=C

and so on to the outer search. Note that if your ip address field in your main index search is something different, then before the fields command, you should do a rename

| rename ipaddress as your_ip_field

jcaron9999a
Explorer

Thanks!  That did the trick.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...