Splunk Search

How to to dynamically change earliest & latest in subsearch to fill summary data gaps with live data?

ft_kd02
Path Finder

Hi all,

I'm working on a dashboard in which I populate a panel with summary data. The summary data runs once per hour over a very large dataset, looking back over the past 60 minutes, generating an | xyseries of response codes across another split by field (field1). 

What I'd like to accomplish is to fill the gap in summary data with live data with a subsearch, if possible. Essentially, the panel will be half filled during the gap between summary data. E.G. it ran at 10 AM, and you're looking at 10:30AM. It also functions poorly for small time increments - say 15 minutes. For now, I'm limited by resources and cannot refine the summary index load to run more frequently. I expect this would fix the problem (say, if it ran every 5 minutes). Is it possible to dynamically generate a timeframe for a live search based on when the summary data sees a gap? 

Within the panel, I pull summary data like so: 

index=summary source="summaryName" sourcetype=stash search_name="summaryName field1=*
| stats
sum(resp*) AS resp*
BY _time
| untable _time responseCode Volume
``` this part is just processing to apply the description I need to the response code ```
| eval trimmedCode=substr(responseCode, -2)
| lookup responseLookup.csv ResponseCode AS trimmedCode OUTPUT ResponseDescription
| eval ResponseDescription=if(isnull(ResponseDescription), " Description Not Available", ResponseDescription)
| eval Response=trimmedCode+" "+ResponseDescription
``` since volume is established by the summary index, sum(Volume) here ```
| timechart partial=f limit=0 span=15m sum(Volume) AS Volume BY Response

I then append a subsearch here to pull the same info from live data, using another timechart after the processing: 

| timechart span=15m limit=0 count AS Volume by Response 
``` presumably here, I would need to sum(Volume) AS Volume to add up the totals```

I looked into some other searches that pull a single event from a summary index, and tried to generate timestamps based on that, but I haven't had much luck. Like so:

index=summary source=summaryName sourcetype=stash
| head 1
| eval SourceData="SI"
| append
[| makeresults
| eval SourceData="gentimes"]
| head 1
| addinfo
| eval earliest=if(SourceData="SI",if(_time>info_min_time,_time,info_min_time),info_min_time)
| eval latest=info_max_time
| table earliest,latest

Any ideas? Is this a possibility or am I limited by the summary data?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can limit your index search to just the time periods missing from your summary index with something like this:

<your index search> [
  search index=summary source="summaryName" sourcetype=stash search_name="summaryName field1=*
  | stats count by _time
  | streamstats window=2 range(_time) as interval
  | where interval > 60 * 15
  | eval earliest=_time-interval+900, latest=_time
  | fields earliest latest ]

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can limit your index search to just the time periods missing from your summary index with something like this:

<your index search> [
  search index=summary source="summaryName" sourcetype=stash search_name="summaryName field1=*
  | stats count by _time
  | where interval > 60 * 15
  | eval earliest=_time-interval+900, latest=_time

ft_kd02
Path Finder

Hi @ITWhisperer

Thanks for your reply. Do you mind expanding on the interval statement? This looks like 60s x 15 to correspond to the 15 minute span in the timechart. I failed to mention that the original summary index data is split into 5 minute BINs, so the interval is consistently evaluating to 300. 

| bin span=5m _time

Edit: to clarify, this gives me an initial earliest/latest value while the search runs, but I believe the | where statement is causing no results to be found due to the time interval. 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, you'll need to use 300.

<your index search> [
``` Get the times of the events in the summary index ```
  | stats count by _time
``` Get the difference (range) between two (window=2) consecutive times ```
``` Interval between 2 times should be 5 minutes ```
  | where interval > 300
``` Missing summary index events are made up from events just prior to the event in the summary index (latest = _time) and the events in the preceding interval starting 5 minutes after the end of the previous summary index event (earliest = _time - interval + 300) ```
  | eval earliest=_time-interval+300, latest=_time
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...