Splunk Search

How to subtract 30 minutes from now() using eval

adoshi
Explorer

I would like to know how to subtract 30 minutes from the call to the now() function and set the value of a field called StartTime

| eval StartTimeInSecondsSince12AM = SomeFunction(now() - 30) | eval EndTimeInSecondsSince12AM = SomeFunction(now())

From there I want to run a query like

earliest = -30d latest = -1d | where SecondsSince12AM(_time) >= StarTimeInSecondsSince12AM AND SecondsSince12AM(_time) <= EndTimeInSecondsSince12AM

Thank you.

Tags (1)

vhsg

Hi,

If not work, I can give a clue please 🙂

index=menu_ivr dnis=550621 | eval StartTime_7 = relative_time(now(),"-90000s@s") | eval EndTime_7 = relative_time(now(),"-86400s@s")| fields connectionID, _time, dnis, StartTime_7, EndTime_7 |eval StartTime_N=strftime(StartTime_7,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") | eval EndTime_N=strftime(EndTime_7,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") | eval time=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") | fields StartTime_N, connectionID, dnis, EndTime_N, time | where time > StartTime_N AND time > EndTime_N
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

If you are looking for events that occurred within a time of day, for a series of days, you will need a different approach.
I will use this example: I want to know how many events occurred between 14:00 and 14:30 for each of the last 30 days.
Here is how to do that:

searchcriteriahere earliest=-30d 
| eval eventHour=strftime(_time,"%H") | eval eventMin=strftime(_time,"%M")
| where eventHour=14 and eventMin<31
| bucket _time span=1d
| chart count by _time

And if the time needs to be based on "in the last 30 minutes" instead of a specific time:

searchcriteriahere earliest=-30d 
| eval eventHour=strftime(_time,"%H") | eval eventMin=strftime(_time,"%M")
| eval curHour==strftime(now(),"%H") | eval curMin=strftime(now(),"%M")
| where (eventHour=curHour and eventMin > curMin - 30) or 
    (curMin < 30 and eventHour=curHour-1 and eventMin>curMin+30)
| bucket _time span=1d
| chart count by _time

adoshi
Explorer

Thank you. This is exactly what I need. You are awesome.

0 Karma

vhsg

hello, but this also gives negative minutes this correct?

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

It's actually very easy! You want:

| eval StartTimeInSecondsSince12AM = relative_time(now(),"-30m") | eval EndTimeInSecondsSince12AM = now()

now() is the time that the search started, in Linux epoch time.

lguinn2
Legend

So, you are looking for events that occurred at the same time of day, on different days? That's a different question...

0 Karma

adoshi
Explorer

If I do that, I think it would have the data and time included in the value. I just need the time part so that I can find the events that occurred in that time period for last 30 days. So how do I just extract the time part is the question.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...