Splunk Search

How to strip leading zeros from a field and join with another set of events to create a new field?

garryclarke
Path Finder

I have a set of events on an input stream which I need to query and want to carry out a join with another data set which needs a leading zero stripped from it. For example the number 0209999948 below needs to key with another field 209999948

LW,0209999948,,NOR,1,L,00137

I am currently looking at extracting another separate field in props.conf but I’m having difficulty in stripping the leading zero in the new field call DN_STRIP.
EXTRACT-DN_STRIP = (?i),(?P[^,]+)
Can this stripping also be done in the props.conf, or do I need to be looking at a regex in the transforms.conf

Tags (4)
1 Solution

bjoernjensen
Contributor

Hi Garry!

Amongst other things you could:

• remove the leading zero at index time by creating/overwriting a field (link) - don't do this

transforms.conf:

[my_unique_stanza]
    REGEX = ^\w{2},0(?<myfield>\d*),.*$

props.conf:

[host::myhost]
    TRANSFORMS-mytransformation = <my_unique_stanza>

fields:conf:

[myfield]
    INDEXED=true

• do the join (link) at search time. Supposing your data "LW,0209999948,,NOR,1,L,00137" is in some source called "data1" and the field you want to do a join against in data2 is named "myfield":

source=data1 | rex "^\w{2},0(?<myfield>\d*),.*$" | join myfield [search source=data2]

Have fun - Bjoern

View solution in original post

bjoernjensen
Contributor

Hi Garry!

Amongst other things you could:

• remove the leading zero at index time by creating/overwriting a field (link) - don't do this

transforms.conf:

[my_unique_stanza]
    REGEX = ^\w{2},0(?<myfield>\d*),.*$

props.conf:

[host::myhost]
    TRANSFORMS-mytransformation = <my_unique_stanza>

fields:conf:

[myfield]
    INDEXED=true

• do the join (link) at search time. Supposing your data "LW,0209999948,,NOR,1,L,00137" is in some source called "data1" and the field you want to do a join against in data2 is named "myfield":

source=data1 | rex "^\w{2},0(?<myfield>\d*),.*$" | join myfield [search source=data2]

Have fun - Bjoern

garryclarke
Path Finder

Thanks Bjoern the regex in the second part of your reply sorted it out

0 Karma

strive
Influencer
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...