Splunk Search

How to search two indexes to find if an event in index B does not occur within certain time range of an event in index A?

patelaa
Explorer

I hope the following makes sense...I have two indexes for separate application logs, index A and index B. I need help writing a search that will show me if a certain event in index B does not occur within 24 hours of an event in index A.

The search to find the event in index A is:

index=indexA sourcetype=sourcetype Network_Address="1.1.1.1" OR Network_Address="2.2.2.2" OR Network_Address="3.3.3.3" 
| stats values(src) values(time) by user

The search to find the event in index B is:

index=indexB "eventCode" | stats values(id) values(time) AS id by user

So basically I want the search to show me all users who have an event in index A, along with the src and time from each event, but don't have an event in index B within 24 hours of the index A event.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

mreynov_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I would suggest to use outputlookup to store results of the first query, then do the second search and use eval to make the calculation

View solution in original post

mreynov_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I would suggest to use outputlookup to store results of the first query, then do the second search and use eval to make the calculation

patelaa
Explorer

Using mreynov's suggestion I piped the search in index A to a lookup table then used the following search to get my desired results

|inputlookup lookUpName.csv
| search NOT [search index=indexB "eventCode"
| fields user]

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...