Splunk Search

How to search for failed logins of a specific Active Directory group?

SplunkLunk
Path Finder

Greetings. I am looking to search failed logins for a particular Active Directory group(s). I was thinking I'd have to do a subsearch based on what I've read in the forums. However, ldapsearch isn't an option due to the access I have in our managed Splunk (it's managed by a central team). So I can do a search for failed logins like so:

index=[my domain controllers index]  sourcetype=XmlWinEventLog:Security EventCode=4625 user!="*$" user!="SYSTEM" (LogonType=10 OR LogonType=3) 

However, I don't know how to search just a specific group name at the same time and report on just the failed logins for members of that group. Alternatively I could add the members of the group individually, but since the group membership would change that would be ineffective (I wouldn't always be aware of the changes).

Does anyone have any advice?

0 Karma

jmallorquin
Builder

Hi,

You should install and app to query the ldap for the members of the group that you want to filter.
https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1151/#/details

Hope i help you

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...