Splunk Search

How to search call data records to find parallel concurrent calls from the same originating telephone number?

garryclarke
Path Finder

I have an index of telephony call data records where each record has an event_start_timestamp, mapped to the event time of each record in SPLUNK.

Each record represents a single call and also contains a duration field and originating and destination number values.

event_start_timestamp,originating_number, destination_number, duration_secs
00:00:10,0123456789,0987654321,45
00:00:09,0123456789,0987654321,12

What I am trying to create is, out of those originating numbers making parallel calls, a report of the originating_numbers making the highest number of concurrent calls.
In the above example the number 0123456789 is making parallel/concurrent calls.

I have tried looking at the concurrency command, however, I’m not totally clear on what it is outputting and also find it difficult to break down a concurrency number per originating number.

Any ideas or pointers on how I might do this would be greatly appreciated.

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I cannot think of any other way to do this so here goes. This method works but STINKS because it runs a new/separate search for each number:

| dedup originating_number | map search="search originating_number=$originating_number$ | concurrency duration=duration_secs" | stats max(concurrency) AS concurrency by originating_number | sort 0 - concurrency
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...