Splunk Search

How to search and isolate any multifields that equal true

stephenreece

Hi all,

I am racking my brains on this one.
The business has built field names containing years and volumes in the fieldname... (don't ask why).

So the field for a single user could contain 3 fields like the below (and contain either true or false for each year)

fieldname

multiyearfield19(3)
multiyearfield18(9)
multiyearfield20(87)

TextString
false
true
false

What I need to be able to do is search and isolate where any of these multifields = true.

Is it possible? As I am struggling...

The basic multiyearfield*=true won't work.
The rex I am trying to do won't work and joining the fields into a single name won't work as some fields contain true and others false.

Any advice is gratefully received.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

try foreach

|foreach multiyearfield* [ eval "<<FIELD>>"="true"]
0 Karma

aholzer
Motivator

Sadly I don't think there is anything that allows you to specify a wildcard in the name of the field, so you'll have to specify your fields individually:

| search field1="true" OR field2="true" OR field3="true"

In your particular case you have the added problem that your fields have special characters, so I suggest running a rename first to wipe out the special characters:

| rename multiyearfield*(*) as multiyearfield_*_*

your final answer would look something like this:

<base search>
| search multiyearfield_18_9 = "true" OR multiyearfield_19_3 = "true" OR multiyearfield_20_87 = "true"

Here's what I did to test it - only ID 1 and 3 get returned in the below:

| makeresults 1 | eval multiyearfield19(3) = "false", multiyearfield18(9) = "true", multiyearfield20(87) = "false", ID = 1
| append [| makeresults 1 | eval multiyearfield19(3) = "false", multiyearfield18(9) = "false", multiyearfield20(87) = "false", ID = 2]
| append [| makeresults 1 | eval multiyearfield19(3) = "true", multiyearfield18(9) = "true", multiyearfield20(87) = "true", ID = 3]
| search multiyearfield_18_9 = "true" OR multiyearfield_19_3 = "true" OR multiyearfield_20_87 = "true"

Here's a very cool answer to a very similar question. The person who answers the question uses a subsearch to build the "OR statement" for them. Since they had multiple fields AND multiple values they were looking through:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/269855/searching-a-number-of-fields-with-the-same-keyword.html

Hope this helps

--- EDIT: answering the further question of doing the field list dynamically ---

Alright - so expanding on what the link I provided does here's a solution that should work dynamically. I'll break it down:

1. Create a list of the fields that match multiyear*:

| rename multiyearfield*() as multiyearfield__*
    | fieldsummary
    | search field=multiyear*
    | table field

2. Step 1 is used as the "fields" part of the answer from the link for the subsearch:

| eval values = "true"
    | makemv values
    | mvexpand values
    | eval {field} = values
    | fields - field values

3. put this into your base search and you should get a dynamic answer without hardcoding your fields

| rename multiyearfield*() as multiyearfield_*
    | search
    [
    | rename multiyearfield*(*) as multiyearfield
    _
    | fieldsummary
    | table field
    | eval values = "true"
    | makemv values
    | mvexpand values
    | eval {field} = values
    | fields - field values]

Code used for testing:

| makeresults 1 
| eval multiyearfield19(3) = "false", multiyearfield18(9) = "true", multiyearfield20(87) = "false", ID = 1 
| append     [| makeresults 1     | eval multiyearfield19(3) = "false", multiyearfield18(9) = "false", multiyearfield20(87) = "false", ID = 2] 
| append     [| makeresults 1     | eval multiyearfield19(3) = "true", multiyearfield18(9) = "true", multiyearfield20(87) = "true", ID = 3] 
| search 
    [| makeresults 1     | eval multiyearfield19(3) = "false", multiyearfield18(9) = "true", multiyearfield20(87) = "false", ID = 1 
    | append         [| makeresults 1         | eval multiyearfield19(3) = "false", multiyearfield18(9) = "false", multiyearfield20(87) = "false", ID = 2] 
    | append         [| makeresults 1         | eval multiyearfield19(3) = "true", multiyearfield18(9) = "true", multiyearfield20(87) = "true", ID = 3] 
    | fieldsummary 
    | table field 
    | eval values = "true" 
    | makemv values 
    | mvexpand values 
    | eval {field} = values 
    | fields - field values]
0 Karma

stephenreece

thanks for the quick feedback....
definitely will add this to the huge bank of usable searches i have, unfortunately for this requirement the numbers i gave above were just examples... in reality the year token spans 5 years and the bracketted number is up to 99 so potentially we have 5*99 potential variations of fieldname among millions of user events.

grr such a pain considering the pull would be extremely useful but if the option for wildcard fields isnt there then i doubt the search is possible naming each of the 490+ variations.... i think i'd need a drink after.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...