Splunk Search

How to search all fields from a lookup CSV file in index event log

m4jk3l
Explorer

Hello Splunk members!

I have a CSV Lookup file with 2 columns

ClientNameHWDetSystem

BD-K-027EY     VMware

I have an index with ASA Firewall log which I want to search and find events for all the ClientNme in the CSV

234654252.234 %ASA-3-2352552: Certificate was successfully validated. serial number: 1123423SSDDG23442234234DSGSGSGGSSG8, subject name: CN=BD-K-027EY.bl.emea.something.com.

Between the CSV lookup file and event the common is the ClientName and a portion of the subject name.

If I look for successfully and provide a single client name i get the event I want, but I am struggling to look it up for all the clients and make it uniqe.

At the end I just want a list of ClientName for which the even was logged.

thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
<your index> [| inputlookup <your lookup> | table ClientName] "Certificate was successfully validated"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

m4jk3l
Explorer

When I extracted the Field from the Event Log and I named it as "ClientName" it started to work.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
<your index> [| inputlookup <your lookup> | table ClientName] "Certificate was successfully validated"
0 Karma

m4jk3l
Explorer

Thank you for you reply.

For some reasons it doesn't work yet.

index=my_index [| inputlookup blank_clients_test.csv | table ClientName] "Certificate was successfully validated"

For test purposes in the blank_clients_test.csv I have just put a single ClientName  I get 0 results

When I search for the following:

index=my_index BB-H-282XY "Certificate was successfully validated"

I am getting a match in the event.

What could be wrong? Does the second Column in the lookup table is also included? If, yes then it would not work. I want to exclude the second column in the lookup

HWDetSystem

Thanks!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It possibly doesn't work if ClientName has not already been extracted as a field. Try it this way

<your index> [| inputlookup <your lookup> | table ClientName | rename ClientName AS search] "Certificate was successfully validated"
0 Karma

m4jk3l
Explorer

I was a bit too quick in accepting your Answer as Solution.

Now it seems that the search is looking just for the first ClientName in the lookup file and ignoring all the rest.

If I put the ClientName that I am sure will be in the event log as first entry it works.

When I put the ClientName as 3rd or 4th Entry in the Column it doesnt find the event.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What do you mean by 3rd or 4th entry? Are you using multi-value fields, or are the entries all on separate rows in the look up file?

0 Karma

m4jk3l
Explorer

m4jk3l_0-1708682434544.png

Each ClientName is in a separate row

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In that case, it should work. Please share your search, in case there is something else stopping it from working.

0 Karma

m4jk3l
Explorer
index=my_index [| inputlookup blank_clients.csv | table ClientName | rename ClientName AS search] "Certificate was successfully validated"

If I execute just this code, I get all the ClientName entries:

| inputlookup blank_clients.csv | table ClientName | rename ClientName AS search

m4jk3l_0-1708686601253.png

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

With nearly 19k entries in your lookup table you have probably blown some lime - try splitting up your searches. For example, you could use head and tail to reduce the number of rows returned.

0 Karma

m4jk3l
Explorer

it works 🙂 Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...