Splunk Search

How to remove unused FW rules?

joock3r
Explorer

Hi,

I have about 100 rules and I want to count the number of logs are related to each rule.

When I used "stats count" it counted those rules that have 1 or more logs, but didn't show all the rules with zero hits.

I tried to import csv file that contains all the rules and to remove the rows that contains rules with 1 or more hits.

Moreover, I tried the suggestion here with no luck:

Solved: Using Splunk to Find Unused Firewall Policies - Splunk Community

Any suggestion?

Thanks 🙂

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @joock3r,

you have to put the firewall rules in a lookup (called e.g. firewall_rules.csv) containing at least one field (called rule).

In the firewall events you extracted a field called rule whose contents should match the lookup.

In this case, you could run this search to identify the not used ones.

index=your_index rule=*
| eval rule=lower(rule)
| stats count BY rule
| append [ | inputlookup firewall_rules.csv | eval rule=lower(rule), count=0 | fields rule count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total BY rule
| where total=0

In this way you'll have the missing rules.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @joock3r,

you have to put the firewall rules in a lookup (called e.g. firewall_rules.csv) containing at least one field (called rule).

In the firewall events you extracted a field called rule whose contents should match the lookup.

In this case, you could run this search to identify the not used ones.

index=your_index rule=*
| eval rule=lower(rule)
| stats count BY rule
| append [ | inputlookup firewall_rules.csv | eval rule=lower(rule), count=0 | fields rule count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total BY rule
| where total=0

In this way you'll have the missing rules.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

joock3r
Explorer

@gcusello 

Works like a charm. Thanks!

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @joock3r,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...