Splunk Search

How to remove all non-ascii character from search results?

ccloutralex
Observer

I have a fairly large(3,400 records) search result that randomly contains non-ascii characters in any one of the 20 fields. This normally is not an issue but the sendemail.py script that is used by splunks email alerting system is erroring out because of it. Is there a way to remove non-ascii characters from all search results? See below for search example:

| inputlookup StatusReport.csv | fields Name ID BusinessGroup Class Email Issues Comments Dynamic Status Owner HoB | sort ID

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@ccloutralex - Can you please try below search?

| inputlookup StatusReport.csv | fields Name ID BusinessGroup Class Email Issues Comments Dynamic Status Owner HoB | sort ID
| foreach * [| rex field="<<FIELD>>" mode=sed "s/[^\x00-\x7F]/ /g"]

This will replace any non-ascii character with space.

I hope this helps. If it does consider upvoting!!

Gr0und_Z3r0
Contributor

Hi @ccloutralex 
If you know the fields that have non-ascii characters, try to replace them using sed command.

| rex mode=sed field=<fieldname> "s/<whatyouwannachange>/<whatitshouldbeafterwards>/g"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...