Splunk Search

How to query for MFA and SSO on network

sgtwolf1
Explorer

Thank you everyone for taking the time to ready this. I am new in Splunk and interested in learning more. I have a project at home, and this has to do with viewing authentication traffic on a given network

The challenge I face:

I need to view what authentication method is being used to access what resource on the network for a giving index and sourcetype. For example, Windows systems do not have an attribute solo representing if the access to the Nod was SSO or MFA all I get is an event ID 4624. Windows Event ID 4624, successful logon — Dummies guide, 3 minute read (manageengine.com) My understanding is that I have to gather a few attributes and make an educated guess about what access was used. I was hoping to find a one liner lol that will show me what resource is using what authentication method. Any help would be appreciated and virtual drinks on me if we strike gold 🙂

Labels (5)
0 Karma
1 Solution

deepakc
Builder

1.If you have your SSO/MFA data ingested and parsed correctly, also using Splunk's TA's most of them come with out of the box tags that can be used to search for the data type.

Simple Example - This will search for authentication data across your defined indexes - and present the results (The tags search for authentication data) You can add your sourcetypes as well

index=linux OR index=Windows OR index=my_SSO_data tag=authentication

You can find the tags via GUI – easy way, or inspects the TA itself (eventtypes and tags)

2. If you have not ingested data then you need to ensure the below.

Example

Okta SSO / MFA - Okta would provide authentication data somewhere, in logs or API, you then need to onboard this data into Splunk, ensure there is a TA that helps with the parsing and tagging, then analyse the data, to see what it gives you and run various queries to give you the results you are looking for. 

Windows Event logs normally give you authentication data, based on AD / Logon events, they also provide Azure AD/ Entra, so if you used these you again would need to ingest that data into Splunk first and then run queries. 

Side note:

Using Splunk you can check with TA’s have tags for authentication

| rest splunk_server=local services/configs/conf-tags
| rename eai:acl.app AS app, title AS tag
| table app tag authentication

This will show you the eventtypes which are associated with tags

| rest splunk_server=local services/configs/conf-eventtypes
| rename eai:acl.app AS app, title AS eventtype
| table app search eventtype

View solution in original post

deepakc
Builder

1.If you have your SSO/MFA data ingested and parsed correctly, also using Splunk's TA's most of them come with out of the box tags that can be used to search for the data type.

Simple Example - This will search for authentication data across your defined indexes - and present the results (The tags search for authentication data) You can add your sourcetypes as well

index=linux OR index=Windows OR index=my_SSO_data tag=authentication

You can find the tags via GUI – easy way, or inspects the TA itself (eventtypes and tags)

2. If you have not ingested data then you need to ensure the below.

Example

Okta SSO / MFA - Okta would provide authentication data somewhere, in logs or API, you then need to onboard this data into Splunk, ensure there is a TA that helps with the parsing and tagging, then analyse the data, to see what it gives you and run various queries to give you the results you are looking for. 

Windows Event logs normally give you authentication data, based on AD / Logon events, they also provide Azure AD/ Entra, so if you used these you again would need to ingest that data into Splunk first and then run queries. 

Side note:

Using Splunk you can check with TA’s have tags for authentication

| rest splunk_server=local services/configs/conf-tags
| rename eai:acl.app AS app, title AS tag
| table app tag authentication

This will show you the eventtypes which are associated with tags

| rest splunk_server=local services/configs/conf-eventtypes
| rename eai:acl.app AS app, title AS eventtype
| table app search eventtype

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability - Improvements to Custom Metrics SLOs, Log Observer Connect & ...

The latest enhancements to the Splunk observability portfolio deliver improved SLO management accuracy, better ...

Improve Data Pipelines Using Splunk Data Management

Register Now   This Tech Talk will explore the pipeline management offerings Edge Processor and Ingest ...

3-2-1 Go! How Fast Can You Debug Microservices with Observability Cloud?

Register Join this Tech Talk to learn how unique features like Service Centric Views, Tag Spotlight, and ...