Splunk Search

How to pass a user ID to a new query?

rip_leroi
Explorer

I'm attempting to build a search around Okta authentication logs.  I want to run a query to check for any Multi factor update/change, collect the user ID and pass that to another search where I see the geolocation data where the User has authenticated previously over a specific time span.  Essentially, I'm trying to build a search to see if a user that requested an MFA change is doing it from a different geolocation than they normally authenticate from.

The query below shows all users that have have a MFA change with their corresponding geolocation data.  Is there a way to pass the user ID(s) to a different search where I can look at 7 days worth of their authentication activity to see if the geolocation matches? 

I've researched sub-searches but that doesn't work because I need the user ID first but the subsearch runs first and I don't have the user ID yet.  I looked at map which seems like it's the best solution, but there a lot of warnings about it being resource intensive.  If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated.

index=okta eventType="user.mfa.factor.update" | stats values(actor.id), values(client.geographicalContext.State)

Labels (3)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It can help other people to help if you can illustrate how the "another search" looks like, especially as you mentioned resource as a concern.

sub-searches but that doesn't work because I need the user ID first but the subsearch runs first and I don't have the user ID yet.

Why not use that illustrated query that returns users with MFA geolocation change as subsearch, then?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...