Splunk Search

How to parse a path request string in json format?

EricMonkeyKing
Explorer

Hi all,

For this sort of json string, how can I extract KeyA, KeyB, KeyC

{ "KeyA": [ { "path": "/attibuteA", "op": "replace", "value": "hello" }, { "path": "/attibuteB", "op": "replace", "value": "hi" } ], "KeyB": [ { "path": "/attibuteA", "op": "replace", "value": "" }, { "path": "/attibuteC", "op": "replace", "value": "hey" }, { "path": "/attibuteD", "op": "replace", "value": "hello" } ], "KeyC": [ { "path": "/attibuteE", "op": "replace", "value": "" } ] }

My ideal output would look like:

Keypathopvalue
KeyAattibuteAreplacehello
KeyAattibuteBreplacehi
KeyBattibuteAreplace 
KeyBattibuteCreplacehey
KeyBattibuteDreplacehello
KeycattibuteEreplace 

Many thanks^

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dtburrows3
Builder

Think I was able to get the table in the output you are wanting. 

dtburrows3_0-1702480839496.png

I was able to achieve this using this SPL.

| makeresults
    | eval
        json_object="{ \"KeyA\": [ { \"path\": \"/attibuteA\", \"op\": \"replace\", \"value\": \"hello\" }, { \"path\": \"/attibuteB\", \"op\": \"replace\", \"value\": \"hi\" } ], \"KeyB\": [ { \"path\": \"/attibuteA\", \"op\": \"replace\", \"value\": \"\" }, { \"path\": \"/attibuteC\", \"op\": \"replace\", \"value\": \"hey\" }, { \"path\": \"/attibuteD\", \"op\": \"replace\", \"value\": \"hello\" } ], \"KeyC\": [ { \"path\": \"/attibuteE\", \"op\": \"replace\", \"value\": \"\" } ] }"
    | fields - _time
    | fromjson json_object
    | fields - json_object
    ``` Assuming that your fieldset at this point is only the list of fields needed for your final output ```
    ``` If there are other fields present that are not apart of the json object you are trying to parse then you should set up a naming convention for fields youy want to loop through ```
    | foreach *
        [
            | eval
                all_objects=mvappend(
                    'all_objects',
                    case(
                        isnull('<<FIELD>>'), null(),
                        mvcount('<<FIELD>>')==1, json_set('<<FIELD>>', "Key", "<<FIELD>>"),
                        mvcount('<<FIELD>>')>1, mvmap('<<FIELD>>', json_set('<<FIELD>>', "Key", "<<FIELD>>"))
                        )
                    )
            ]
    | fields + all_objects
    | mvexpand all_objects
    | spath input=all_objects
    | fields - all_objects
    | fields + Key, path, op, value

View solution in original post

dtburrows3
Builder

Think I was able to get the table in the output you are wanting. 

dtburrows3_0-1702480839496.png

I was able to achieve this using this SPL.

| makeresults
    | eval
        json_object="{ \"KeyA\": [ { \"path\": \"/attibuteA\", \"op\": \"replace\", \"value\": \"hello\" }, { \"path\": \"/attibuteB\", \"op\": \"replace\", \"value\": \"hi\" } ], \"KeyB\": [ { \"path\": \"/attibuteA\", \"op\": \"replace\", \"value\": \"\" }, { \"path\": \"/attibuteC\", \"op\": \"replace\", \"value\": \"hey\" }, { \"path\": \"/attibuteD\", \"op\": \"replace\", \"value\": \"hello\" } ], \"KeyC\": [ { \"path\": \"/attibuteE\", \"op\": \"replace\", \"value\": \"\" } ] }"
    | fields - _time
    | fromjson json_object
    | fields - json_object
    ``` Assuming that your fieldset at this point is only the list of fields needed for your final output ```
    ``` If there are other fields present that are not apart of the json object you are trying to parse then you should set up a naming convention for fields youy want to loop through ```
    | foreach *
        [
            | eval
                all_objects=mvappend(
                    'all_objects',
                    case(
                        isnull('<<FIELD>>'), null(),
                        mvcount('<<FIELD>>')==1, json_set('<<FIELD>>', "Key", "<<FIELD>>"),
                        mvcount('<<FIELD>>')>1, mvmap('<<FIELD>>', json_set('<<FIELD>>', "Key", "<<FIELD>>"))
                        )
                    )
            ]
    | fields + all_objects
    | mvexpand all_objects
    | spath input=all_objects
    | fields - all_objects
    | fields + Key, path, op, value

EricMonkeyKing
Explorer
Much appreciated! It works!
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @EricMonkeyKing ,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @EricMonkeyKing,

did you configured INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json for that sourcetype or used the spath command (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.2/SearchReference/Spath) ?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

EricMonkeyKing
Explorer
Thanks. I tried but the scenario is a little bit complex ^^
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...