Splunk Search

How to merge two field values into one?

jenniferleenyc
Engager

I'm trying to compare two date values, Valid_Till(ex: Oct 7 12:58:21 2016) and the current_date(ex: 08/01/16). In order to create a consistent format, I want to convert Valid_Till to numeric values so that it matches current_date's format. What would be the best way to do this? I've tried using strptime, but it didn't work out.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi jenniferleenyc,

take this run everywhere search :

| gentimes start=-1
| eval foo1="Oct 7 12:58:21 2016", foo2="08/01/16" 
| eval boo1=strptime(foo1, "%b %e %H:%M:%S %Y"), boo2=strptime(foo2, "%m/%d/%y") 
| table foo1 foo2 boo1 boo2

This will create some dummy fields and using strptime you will parse the values of foo1 and foo2 into epoch values which later can be compared. See the docs on strptime http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.2/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions#Date_and_Time_...

This function takes a time represented by a string, X, and parses it into a timestamp using the format specified by Y.

For more information on the time format option see http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.2/SearchReference/Commontimeformatvariables

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

What was the search you tried?

Something like below should work

| eval Valid_Till_epoch = strptime(Valid_Till, "%b %d %H:%M:%S %Y") 

sundareshr
Legend

Try this run anywhere sample. This converts the Valid_Till & current_date format to epoch time

| gentimes start=-1 | eval x="Oct 7 12:58:21 2016" | eval y=strptime(x, "%b %-d %H:%M:%S %Y") | eval a="08/01/16" | eval b=strptime(a, "%m/%d/%y") | table x y a b
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...