Splunk Search

How to merge several fields from a log to one field?

ljxdennis

Hi guys,

i am pretty new to Splunk and i have the following Task.
I have four Systems with logs. I want to merge several fields from a log from one system to one field to generate a X-Trace-ID. I Need this X-Trace-ID to track the Transaction over the four Systems away.
Actually i could use the method of expanding the database of each Systems concerning one column and add an X-Trace-ID but we can't do that because of cost Problems.
Could you help me how can i generate in an alternative way a X-Trace-ID accross System boundaries?

Thank you very much and i am looking Forward for some answers.

Greetings

Dennis

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kmorris_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Assuming I am understanding your request correctly, it sounds like you want to create a new field made up of a concatenation of other fields in the same event. If this is correct, try something like this:

<YOUR BASE SEARCH>
| eval X-Trace-ID=field1 . "-" . field2 . "-" field3 . "-" . field4

Not sure if you wanted the values separated or not, so I added the "-" between fields.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kmorris_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Assuming I am understanding your request correctly, it sounds like you want to create a new field made up of a concatenation of other fields in the same event. If this is correct, try something like this:

<YOUR BASE SEARCH>
| eval X-Trace-ID=field1 . "-" . field2 . "-" field3 . "-" . field4

Not sure if you wanted the values separated or not, so I added the "-" between fields.

0 Karma

ljxdennis

Thank you much! 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...