Splunk Search

How to make eval time minutes?

troy44112
Explorer

What do I need to add to this search, to make this search  | where Need >= 60min

| tstats max(_indextime) AS Late where earliest=-24h latest=now (index=bluff) by sourcetype
| eval CurrentTime=now()
| eval Need = CurrentTime - Late, LastIngestionTime=strftime(Late,"%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S %Z"), CurrentTime =strftime(CurrentTime,"%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S %Z")
| table sourcetype, LastIngestionTime, CurrentTime, Need
| rename LastIngestionTime as "Last", CurrentTime AS "Search time", Need AS "Latency in Minutes"

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

venky1544
Builder

Hi @troy44112 

in your query 

| eval Need = CurrentTime - Late  

since the subtraction is in epoch time format it would give the values in seconds

|eval need = (CurrentTime-late)/60  use something like this to convert it into minutes and then use the where clause  need >=60 

Hope this helps

venky1544
Builder

Hi @troy44112 

if you think the solution can you please accept the solution whichever was relevant for your use case

karma points are appreciated 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @troy44112,

did you tried something like this?

| tstats max(_indextime) AS Late where earliest=-24h latest=now (index=bluff) by sourcetype
| eval CurrentTime=now()
| eval Need = CurrentTime - Late, LastIngestionTime=strftime(Late,"%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S %Z"), CurrentTime =strftime(CurrentTime,"%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S %Z")
| where Need>=3600
| rename LastIngestionTime as "Last", CurrentTime AS "Search time", Need AS "Latency in Minutes"

Ciao.

Giuseppe

troy44112
Explorer

@gcusello  What does the 3600 represent?
I am trying to figure out the calculation.
ie: if I want to change it to 60min, 45min, 90min etc..

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @troy44112,

you asked the condition for 60 minutes: 3600 are the seconds in 60 minutes.

time differences are expressed in seconds, so you can find the number to use in the check.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

troy44112
Explorer

@gcusello @venky1544,

When I set the alert it runs off of "current time" search, so results are returned even though there isn't a delay. Would you happen to know how to change this search to if there is a delay of >60min. Rather than subtracting the current time from the last ingestion time?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @troy44112,

Hi did you tried to use a different earliest and latest?

| tstats max(_indextime) AS Late where earliest=-25h@h latest=-h@h (index=bluff) by sourcetype
| eval CurrentTime=now()
| where Need>=3600

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

troy44112
Explorer

@gcusello ,
It still isn't working. The alert subtracts from whenever the search is ran & the "late" variable, then outputs it as latency. Rather than alerting if there is a delay >60min.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...