Splunk Search

How to join two sets of data on a field and get the results that don't have corresponding matching data?

mohankesireddy
Path Finder

I have two sets of data, both sets have a common field with common value, when i use join command i am able to find the ones which has a matching data, but what i wanted is to find the set of data which dont have a matching hit.

sample query
index=index1 sourcetype=type1 status=503 | join requestid [search index=index1 sourcetype=type2 status=200 ] | table _time requestid

I want to get all the 503 which dont have a corresponding status 200, but have a same request id. when I use join i am getting the ones which have a corresponding 200 but not the ones which dont have one. I am not able to find a command which can do it. Any help is appreciated.

1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this:

index=index1 ((sourcetype=type1 status=503) OR (sourcetype=type2 status=200)) | eventstats dc(status) as dc by requestId | search dc=1 status=503

The eventstats will count how many different status values each requestId has. The final search only keeps status=503 values that don't have a second status, ie no status=200 event for that requestId.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this:

index=index1 ((sourcetype=type1 status=503) OR (sourcetype=type2 status=200)) | eventstats dc(status) as dc by requestId | search dc=1 status=503

The eventstats will count how many different status values each requestId has. The final search only keeps status=503 values that don't have a second status, ie no status=200 event for that requestId.

mohankesireddy
Path Finder

Thanks Martin, it worked like a charm

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...