Splunk Search

How to join data from a database to an event with multiple values for a field in the same event?

Bstylee303

So the basic idea of this is I have an event that has multiple entries within the same Data field. I need to join info from the database on these entries. With my current join, I only get data joined when the event has only 1 entry in this field

ie:
Event1-
Session.Username
Data.X.Number- 1,2,3,4,5

Event 2-
Session.Username2
Data.X.Number-1

Want to join information from the DB, but in the DB, each line is stored as
Col1 Col2 Col3
Username, 1, Info I need
Username, 2 , Info I need
Username, 3 , Info I need
Username2, 1, Info I need

Is it possible to join on both fields when there is more than 1 value in Data.X.Number so I can get Col3 associated to each Number? In the above, it will join correctly with Event2, but Event1 won't get any information from the DB.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

maciep
Champion

I think the answer is to create a separate event for each number the Data.X.Number field. If that field is already a multi-valued field in Splunk, then just use mvexpand. If it's not a multi-valued, then make it one first and then use mvexpand. Once you do that, then in your example above, Event 1 will be broken out into 5 separate events in your search results, all of them will be the same except for the Data.X.Number field.

For example

[your base event search] | makemv delim="," Data.X.Number | mvexpand Data.X.Number

At that point, I think your join should work.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Can you post your current queries (both) with names of available fields?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...