Splunk Search

How to isolate a specific field in a lookup file

msage
Path Finder

I'm working on a project for work where I want to see employee entry data for specific groups. We have a lookup file that has everyone's cost center that I use to see everyone's entries into an office as well as what team they're in. However now I want to see more granular data by only showing one cost center rather than all of them. Here's my current search that I can't get to work

index="myindex" EVDESCR="Access Granted" READERDESC="yes*"
|lookup user_lookup.csv user_employee_number as EMPLOYEE_ID  
|search user_esc_cost_center="specific group"
|timechart span=1d dc(EMPLOYEE_ID) by FIRSTNAME

I keep getting 0 results but I'm not sure how else to get around to this. I'm fairly new to Splunk and am basically self teaching with a little help from our other teams. 

Labels (3)
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@msage 

Does your lookup find the EMPLOYEE_ID field in the and return the fields from that employee, i.e. if you do

| table EMPLOYEE_ID FIRSTNAME user_esc_cost_center

after the lookup command, do you see the employees and their names+cost centres?  Is FIRSTNAME from your data or the lookup?

if so, then the timechart command is the culprit. In any case, is that timechart command doing what you want, i.e. it will show you per day, the number of unique employee ids for each first name, e.g.

Today, Peter, 10 employees

Yesterday, Jane, 4 employees

but if you are getting no results, then do you have a field called FIRSTNAME

View solution in original post

msage
Path Finder

Apologies for the late reply @bowesmana and @inventsekar . To answer your questions yes I can isolate the cost center when using the inputlookup command and it was indeed the timechart that was the culprit. I've figured it out using both your help so thank you very much! In case anyone else stumbles upon this question this is the search I used.

index="my index" EVDESCR="specific event" READERDESC="criteria"
| lookup user_lookup.csv user_employee_number as EMPLOYEE_ID 
|search user_esc_cost_center="specific cost center"
|timechart span=1d dc(CARDNUM) AS EVDESCR

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @msage .. using inputlookup command, are you able to search/filter out the particular group

|inputlookup user_lookup.csv 
|search user_esc_cost_center="specific group"

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@msage 

Does your lookup find the EMPLOYEE_ID field in the and return the fields from that employee, i.e. if you do

| table EMPLOYEE_ID FIRSTNAME user_esc_cost_center

after the lookup command, do you see the employees and their names+cost centres?  Is FIRSTNAME from your data or the lookup?

if so, then the timechart command is the culprit. In any case, is that timechart command doing what you want, i.e. it will show you per day, the number of unique employee ids for each first name, e.g.

Today, Peter, 10 employees

Yesterday, Jane, 4 employees

but if you are getting no results, then do you have a field called FIRSTNAME

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...