Splunk Search

How to incorporate a pattern into a search?

matt_cunningham

If I can see a pattern forming that will help me track users in my environment, how can I set up a search to serve these functions?
Case 1: A client consistently hits a set of URI stems, how can I track that scraper by looking for IP addresses or user agents that have hit all of those specific URI stems?
Case 2: If a client methodically increments through a specific field such as IPs or memberIDs (these are specific to my environment) how can I write a search to track their IP block or UserAgent?

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

I have an idea for Case 1, and similar issues. Create a CSV file containing all the URI stems that you want to track and upload it using the lookups interface. The file should look like this

uri_stem
splunk.com/apage
www.whatsup.com/anotherpage

"uri_stem" is the header line, which is required. Then search like this:

othersearchcriteria [ inputlookup uri.csv | rename uri_stem as search ] 
| stats dc(uri) by ip
| where count >= [  inputlookup uri.csv | stats count | return $count ]

Note that this search simply inserts the URI stems as search terms in the base search - it doesn't use the field names at all. However, you will need the field name for the stats command - I assumed that it was "uri". Run the search and then look at the search job inspector to see what it actually did. Second, the list of uri_stems really shouldn't exceed about a hundred.

Finally, you could make a more sophisticated CSV, including more information or selection criteria, and use it as a true lookup. But I think this is a good starting point, as it shows a good way to build a dynamic list of criteria. To change the criteria, simply update the CSV file and reload it. You can even generate the CSV from another Splunk search - there are many possibilities.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...