Splunk Search

How to include a few events from the log prior to the event that triggered the alert?

splunkIT
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I would like to setup a scheduled alert which includes the event that triggers the alert, plus a few events prior the "main" event.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Ruski88
Engager

I was able to make the search below work so that when the event that triggered the alert ran, it would gather the last 5 events prior to the alert event within the same index & source specified.

<Root_Search> | head 1 
| eval marke=_time+1, marks=marke-60
| map search="search <Root_Search> starttimeu=$marks$ endtimeu=$marke$ | head <number_of_events_to_go_back> | reverse"

EXAMPLE:

index=_internal source=*splunkd.log* component=SearchScheduler | head 1 
| map search="search index=_internal source=*splunkd.log* starttimeu=$marks$ endtimeu=$marke$ | head 6  | reverse

This will pull the last time splunk had seen an event from search:index=_internal source=splunkd.log component=SearchScheduler along with the last 5 events prior within "index=_internal source=splunkd.log"

View solution in original post

Ruski88
Engager

I was able to make the search below work so that when the event that triggered the alert ran, it would gather the last 5 events prior to the alert event within the same index & source specified.

<Root_Search> | head 1 
| map search="search <Root_Search> starttimeu=$marks$ endtimeu=$marke$ | head <number_of_events_to_go_back> | reverse"

EXAMPLE:

index=_internal source=*splunkd.log* component=SearchScheduler | head 1 
| map search="search index=_internal source=*splunkd.log* starttimeu=$marks$ endtimeu=$marke$ | head 6  | reverse

This will pull the last time splunk had seen an event from search:index=_internal source=splunkd.log component=SearchScheduler along with the last 5 events prior within "index=_internal source=splunkd.log"

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...