Splunk Search

How to import event logs from another system to scan on my local instance of Splunk?

BabySplunk
Explorer

Hello all! I am brand new to Splunk and have learned quite a bit so far from this forum, so thank you! With that being said, I am currently trying to import event logs from another system to scan on my local instance of Splunk. I've tried moving the EVTX files into my winevt directory, but that didn't work. I'm getting very frustrated and any help would be appreciated.

-BabySplunk

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BabySplunk,

EVTX are encrypted, you need to use the connector that Splunk developed and it's in the Splunk_TA_Windows (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/742).

For more infos you can see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.2/Data/Usingforwardingagents and https://www.splunk.com/en_us/resources/videos/getting-data-into-windows.html

You can also find many interesting videos in the Splunk YouTube Channel.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

BabySplunk
Explorer

I decided to convert them to CSV to make it a bit easier. I followed the video you linked, but now I'm getting no results returned via search.

Here's my search string:

source="filename.csv" sourcetype="csv" | search EventCode=4624 | table _time, Account_Name, Message

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BabySplunk,

at first use always the index value in searches because you index could not be in the default path and probably this is your issue.

then check the EventCode field: field names in Splunk are Case sensitive.

Then you don't need to use the search command, put the search conditons as left as possible:

index=your_index source="filename.csv" sourcetype="csv" EventCode=4624 
| table _time Account_Name Message

Ciao.

Giuseppe

BabySplunk
Explorer

Thanks for your help, but I'm still returning no results.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BabySplunk,

how do you indexed these csv files?

in which index did you stored them?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

BabySplunk
Explorer

The index is titled "main"

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BabySplunk,

it isn't a best prectice to use the default index "main"!

Anyway, how did you ingested these files?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

BabySplunk
Explorer

I did a one-time upload via the SplunkEnterprise webpage and followed the wizard.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BabySplunk,

at the end of the guided procedure, you can search Data, have you results?

ciao.

Giuseppe

BabySplunk
Explorer

No results.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BabySplunk,

this means that the ingestion procedure failed and you didn't uploaded your data.

During the guided procedure, you can check the timestamp recognition and the fields recognition, do you correctly see them?

Ciao.

Giuseppe.

BabySplunk
Explorer

Yes, I see them and my data is now populating but when I complete the upload and attempt a search, I'm still getting "no results found".

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BabySplunk,

using the guided procedure, check if the timestamp is correctly read because if you're using a date in european format (dd/mm/yyy), until the 11th of the month, Splunk read it in american format (mm/dd/yyy) and maybe your data were ingested but with the wrong timestamp.

You can check this searching your data with timestamp 01/12/2022 at the 12th of January 2022.

If this is the issue, you have to force the correct TIME_FORMAT in sourcetype.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

BabySplunk
Explorer

I have it showing results now, but the table header tags that I typically use with my forwarded data is not matching up in the CSV import. For instance, I normally use "| table _time,Account_Name,Message,EventCode" but nothing matches from the CSV import. It reads as "Event ID" instead of EventCode and "EXTRA_FIELD_" instead of Message and "Account_Name" returns no results.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check the time range of your search. If you import data from the past you might be simply searching over wrong time range which by default is some time "backwards" from now (like last 24h).

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...