Splunk Search

How to hide a column in a table if every value in that column is null?

yacht_rock
Explorer

How can I hide/not display a column in a table if every value in that column is null? Sometimes the column will have values. Splunk does a weird table width vs. Length of column values so I'm trying to save space and decrease horizontal scrolling if I can.

Stats count by foo, boo, bar

Foo, boo, bar
123,456,null
123,890,null

Only want to see

Foo, boo

if bar is always null

nabeel652
Builder

Try appending this at the end of your search:

...your search | streamstats count as serial | stats values(*) as * by serial  | fields - serial

Gayatri
Engager
your search | streamstats count as serial | stats values(*) as * by serial  | fields - serial 

Could you please explain how this command helps to hid columns which has null values in Splunk. 

0 Karma

romanwaldecker
Path Finder

Appending the transpose command two times will help you out.

I am referring to this answer in a similar thread:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/241186/removing-null-columns-from-a-table.html#answer-593190

Simply add:

| transpose 0
| transpose 0 header_field=column 
| fields - column

//

Some further notes:
- Why it works: When transposing a table, Splunk automatically removes every resulting empty row (= previously empty column).
- The 0option makes sure that every row and every column gets transposed.
- The only downside: The transpose command is pretty time-consuming. Use it carefully.
- For further info in Splunk Doku: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.2/SearchReference/Transpose

0 Karma

mprreddy51
Explorer

try this

base query....|fields - bar

0 Karma

yacht_rock
Explorer

Thank you for the reply, but that's not quite what I'm asking. I know you can explicitly exclude fields in a search's output via the fields command.

What I'm looking for is conditionally not showing a field if all the field's values are null, otherwise show the field

index=myindex xyz=abc | if (values(whatever_field) = null) then (table foo_field, bar_field) ELSE (table foo_field, bar_field, whatever_field))

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...