Splunk Search

How to get the correct rex to extract fields from string?

j2menanda
Explorer

Hi, I have below string and I am trying to get StartTime, EndTime and Count to be displayed in the dashboard.

"Non-Match - Window Event not matches with events Count with StartTime=2020-02-03T11:00:00.000Z EndTime=2020-02-03T11:00:00.000Z Count=100\"

I tried multiple rex formats but couldn't succeed. Can I get some help with this please?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not sure why you need pairdelim="?&" - the sample data reads like white space to me.  But if the ampersand (&) is needed in Simple XML, you must substitute with "&" (no quotes) if you use source editor.  In visual editor you must use "&".

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
StartTime=(?<StartTime>\d{4}\-\d\d\-\d\dT\d\d:\d\d:\d\d\.\d+Z)\sEndTime=(?<EndTime>\d{4}\-\d\d\-\d\dT\d\d:\d\d:\d\d\.\d+Z)\sCount=(?<Count>\d+)
0 Karma

j2menanda
Explorer

No, that did not really work for me.

splunk-rex-no-results.png

I tried the below and with it, I am able to get the start & end times but not the count.

rex "StartTime=(?<startTime>.*) EndTime=(?<endTime>.*) Count=(?<Count>\d+)"

Tags (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try them as separate rex commands

| rex "StartTime=(?<StartTime>\d{4}\-\d\d\-\d\dT\d\d:\d\d:\d\d\.\d+Z)"
| rex "EndTime=(?<EndTime>\d{4}\-\d\d\-\d\dT\d\d:\d\d:\d\d\.\d+Z)"
| rex "Count=(?<Count>\d+)"
0 Karma

j2menanda
Explorer

Thanks for that. It is as good as the below one:

| rex "StartTime=(?<startTime>.*) EndTime=(?<endTime>.*) Count=(?<Count>[^ ]+)"

except for it doesn't get the 'Count'.

Below is my log:

{"timestamp":"2022-03-25T15:16:49.066+00:00","logger":"config.SomeConfig","message":"FID=SomeConfig APPL= RQID= TEXT=\"Recon :: Non-Match - Window Event not matches with Transaction Store Count with StartTime=2020-02-03T11:00:00.000Z EndTime=2020-02-03T11:00:00.000Z Count=100\" STRT=1648221409","level":"INFO","application-id":"103299","application-name":"ingest"}

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In that  case you would have a field named 'message'.  Consider extract aka kv.  For example,

| rename _raw AS temp, message AS _raw
| kv pairdelim=" "
| rename temp AS _raw ``` only if you still need original _raw ```

Your sample data gives

CountEndTimeFIDSTRTStartTimeTEXTapplication-idapplication-namelevelloggertimestamp
1002020-02-03T11:00:00.000ZSomeConfig16482214092020-02-03T11:00:00.000ZRecon :: Non-Match - Window Event not matches with Transaction Store Count with StartTime=2020-02-03T11:00:00.000Z EndTime=2020-02-03T11:00:00.000Z Count=100103299ingestINFOconfig.SomeConfig2022-03-25T15:16:49.066+00:00

Tags (1)

j2menanda
Explorer

| extract pairdelim="?&" kvdelim="="
| table StartTime, EndTime, Count

The above query worked for me when I ran in browser. However, I am not able to use this in the dashboard. It says invalid character entity. For that matter, any other query that uses a regex is showing error in the xml for dashboard saying unsatisfied close tag or something of that kind.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not sure why you need pairdelim="?&" - the sample data reads like white space to me.  But if the ampersand (&) is needed in Simple XML, you must substitute with "&amp;" (no quotes) if you use source editor.  In visual editor you must use "&".

j2menanda
Explorer

Thank you. Used the below as is.

| kv pairdelim=" "

splunk-rex-no-results.png

The 'Text' is one single string that includes start time and end time along with the count, and the TEXT itself is part of the 'message' field.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...