Splunk Search

How to get my search that currently gives me IP addresses to also give me the DNS name of servers?

bworrellZP
Communicator

So I have a search that gives me IP addresses of internal servers. Would like to modify it so that it gives me the IP and DNS name of the servers.

Looking through other Answers, I have created a transforms.conf in Splunk\etc\system\local with the below.

[dnsLookup]
external_cmd = external_lookup.py host ip
fields_list = host, ip

But when I search with:

index=*  src_ip="10.0.0.0/8" YouTube.com sourcetype!=optiv_threat_list  | lookup dnslookup ip as dst

I get this error:

Error in 'lookup' command: Could not find all of the specified lookup fields in the lookup table

I know I am missing something, but not sure what.

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

bworrellZP
Communicator

index=* src_ip="10.0.0.0/8" YouTube.com sourcetype!=optiv_threat_list |dedup src_ip | lookup dnslookup clientip AS src_ip OUTPUT clienthost as Hostname

That was the ultimate solution

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bworrellZP
Communicator

index=* src_ip="10.0.0.0/8" YouTube.com sourcetype!=optiv_threat_list |dedup src_ip | lookup dnslookup clientip AS src_ip OUTPUT clienthost as Hostname

That was the ultimate solution

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

In the latest versions of splunk this is now built-in and enabled by default so there is no need to add/configure anything. If you are only interested in getting it working and you are on an older version of Splunk, you can download this app:
https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1535/

0 Karma

bworrellZP
Communicator

I am running 6.3.1 currently.

Before adding that to the Transform, still did not get any ip to dns resolution. Since I was looking at an old answer, is the search format different as well?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The built-in one uses clientip and clienthost so you should use this, assuming you have a field called dst:

index=* src_ip="10.0.0.0/8" YouTube.com sourcetype!=optiv_threat_list | lookup dnslookup clientip AS dst
0 Karma

bworrellZP
Communicator

The example I was looking at used dst, figured it was a Splunk field of note. looking, guess it is not.

So if I do not have a field of that name, and wanted to use Hostname instead, how would I go about adding it for manual dynamic searches like this?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

index=* src_ip="10.0.0.0/8" YouTube.com sourcetype!=optiv_threat_list | lookup dnslookup clientip AS YourFIeldnameHereForDottedQuadIP

So if your field Hostname contains DottedQuads, then this:

index=* src_ip="10.0.0.0/8" YouTube.com sourcetype!=optiv_threat_list | lookup dnslookup clientip AS Hostname
0 Karma

bworrellZP
Communicator

Hrm, so then if this was to work, I would have a new field name created, due to the AS statement, when I look at my fields list in my search, correct?

If that is the case, then I must have something wrong, as there is no new field, regardless of the name I use.

0 Karma

bworrellZP
Communicator

Figured it out, something was missing.

That worked and gave me the hostname field.

Document for this new lookup was missing that, found it on a google search, in someone's blog.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...