Splunk Search

How to get events that have only a starting 'string' with no ending 'string' ?

sjringo
Communicator

What I am trying to write is some SPL code that will identify log events that only have a "Starting" event with no "Completed" event.  By a specific Job Name extracted from each log event that are in the same index & sourcetype ?

A Job is still 'running' if it only has a "Start" event with no "Completed" event.

If my starting query is: index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourcetype (jobName1 OR jobName2 OR jobName3) AND "Starting"

| rex field=_raw "Batch::(?<aJobName1>[^\s]*)"
| stats count AS aCount1 by aJobName1

Then I only want to keep log events that have no "Completed" event from the same index and sourcetype:

index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourcetype (jobName1 OR jobName2 OR jobName3) AND "Completed"
| rex field=_raw "Batch::(?<aJobName2>[^\s]*)"
| stats count AS aCount2 by aJobName2

I have tried using:

where isnull(aCount2) but I used appendcols but stats is removing _raw data ? for the rest of my code...

How would I go about just getting those log events (_raw) for jobs that are only "Started"
I might be overthinking this but am struggling...

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yep. You're overthinking it a bit. Either you have a field containing the job state (Starting/Completed) or you can create one by

| eval state=case(searchmatch("Starting",_raw),"Starting",searchmatch("Completed"),"Completed",1=1,null())

Then you need to check the state for each separate job

| stats values(state) as states by whatever_id_you_have_for_each_job

(If you want to retain the jobname, which I assume is a more general clasifier than a single job identifier, add values(aJobName) to that stats command.

Then you can filter to see only non-finished jobs by

| where NOT states="Completed"

Keep in mind that matching multivalued fields can be a bit unintuitive at first.

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yep. You're overthinking it a bit. Either you have a field containing the job state (Starting/Completed) or you can create one by

| eval state=case(searchmatch("Starting",_raw),"Starting",searchmatch("Completed"),"Completed",1=1,null())

Then you need to check the state for each separate job

| stats values(state) as states by whatever_id_you_have_for_each_job

(If you want to retain the jobname, which I assume is a more general clasifier than a single job identifier, add values(aJobName) to that stats command.

Then you can filter to see only non-finished jobs by

| where NOT states="Completed"

Keep in mind that matching multivalued fields can be a bit unintuitive at first.

sjringo
Communicator

That makes sense and I was wanting to create some additional fields for the output and was getting hung up on the usage of | stats and had to switch it to | eventstats to retain _raw data for the rest of the code after the stats/eventstats.

You have helped me before PickleRick and always provide good info !!!

Works like a charm, thanks again !

| rex field=_raw "Batch::(?<aJobName>[^\s]*)"
| eval aStatus=case(
searchmatch("START of script"), "Start",
searchmatch("COMPLETED OK"), "End",
searchmatch("ABORTED, exiting with status"), "End",
true(),null()
)
| eventstats values(aStatus) as aStateList by aJobName
| where aStateList != "End"

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, eventstats can indeed be sometimes used when you need to retain the original events but remember that eventstats is a "heavier" command than single stats (it has to keep all the events and add the summarized data to all events so it needs potentially way way more resources than simple stats; it's also not that well distributable)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...