Splunk Search

How to find values in a lookup table that do not appear in an index?

janderson19
Path Finder

Hello,

I have a lookup table that I've exported from another report using the fields IP_ADDRESS, CountOfUserID.

I'm trying to find IP Addresses in another index, msad, using primarily the fields ClientIP and UserId, which do not appear in the lookup table.

So, if IP_ADDRESS and ClientIP match, throw the data out, and return a list of the leftover IP_ADDRESS values.

I'm running into issues, where either the search will return the opposite of what I want (IP Addresses that appear in both datasets), or nothing at all.

Does anyone know how to work the logic on this? I feel like I've tried everything.

Thanks,

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

index=msad

| stats count  by ClientIP,UserId

| append [| inputlookup yourlookupname | stats c as l_count by IP_ADRESS | rename IP_ADDRESS as ClientIP]
| stats values(*) as * by ClientIP

| where isnull(count)

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mraudaschl
Loves-to-Learn

hi Janderson19, 
I am trying to achieve the same thing but didn't have any luck so far. Were you successfull?

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

index=msad

| stats count  by ClientIP,UserId

| append [| inputlookup yourlookupname | stats c as l_count by IP_ADRESS | rename IP_ADDRESS as ClientIP]
| stats values(*) as * by ClientIP

| where isnull(count)

————————————
0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@janderson19 

👍 is really appreciated 😁

————————————
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

index=msad | stats count  by ClientIP,UserId | lookup yourlookup IP_ADDRESS AS ClientIP OUTPUT CountOfUserID | where isnull(CountOfUserID)

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

see the command reference and use AS clause.

lookup can use different field names.

0 Karma

janderson19
Path Finder

Yeah. I got it to match the two datasets pretty easily, but what I'm having trouble with is finding events that *don't* appear in the index.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...