Splunk Search

How to find frequency of the same log messages?

john-de
Observer

My log messages format is like this:

2023-01-01 01:02:40 INFO - Thread-1 com.example.ClassName : this is log A
2023-01-01 01:02:35 INFO - Thread-2 com.example.ClassName : this is log B
2023-01-01 01:02:30 INFO - Thread-3 com.example.ClassName : this is log A

Is it possible to create such query to find the frequency of the same log messages? In this case I would like to get the following output as a table:

this is log A | 2
this is log B | 1
Labels (5)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If by frequency you just mean count of occurrences of different values of a given field, it's just

| stats count by your_field

If you mean currency as number of occurrences per given time interval, then timechart is your frient

| timechart count by your_field

0 Karma

john-de
Observer

Ok I found the field name and I tried to do this:

| stats count by my_field_name

But since the log message has unique timestamp and sometimes unique thread name, I am getting a table with rows for every single log message and with count =1. 

Is it possible to edit log message to remove that timestamp part and leave only the common part:

Instead of looking for count of this:

can we do count for this:

this is log A

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, this is an issue with log parsing. Properly onboarded logs should have defined extractions. Those extractions are responsible for "splitting" the event into fields (it's not precisely splitting since same part of the event can be referenced in more than one field).

You can extract fields ad hoc using the "rex" command and then stats like

<your search>
| rex "(?<mylog>this is log.*)"

And then doing the stats

| stats count by mylog

But it's usually better to have fields extracted automatically by splunk.

If you're searching in verbose mode, all fields extracted from a single event should show when you expand this event. (Fast mode only shows fields explicitly used in your search and some default fields).

You can also check which fields are extracted from your event by

<your_search>
```we don't want to clutter the display so we get just one event```
| head 1
```show all fields```
| table *
```pivot it around so we have a nice list```
| transpose 0 column_name=field
| rename "col 1" as value
0 Karma

john-de
Observer

Yeah I am interested in the first query:

| stats count by your_field

But it looks like in my case this entire log message line is 1 field but I cannot see its name though.

I can see some other fields like 'host_name' and I am able to find a count of occurrences of different values for that field. Also, I tried to de-select all fields and I still can see log message:

So I am not sure what field I can use.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...