Splunk Search

How to find field value changes for two environments?

Fe-atSplunk
Explorer

There are two environments, INT and PROD. The value of IREFFECTIVEDATE in INT is always the same, as is PROD, however they have different values. I want to know when the value of IREFFECTIVEDATE in its environment changes. Here is a log sample:

2022-03-04 14:13:00.006, IREFFECTIVEDATE="2016-07-01 00:00:00.0", IRLOANRATE="5"

So far my search is this:

index= xy sourcetype=xy
| eval env = if(host=="prod1", "PROD", "INT")
| table IREFFECTIVEDATE IRLOANRATE env
| head 1
| eval single_value="IREFFECTIVEDATE : ".IREFFECTIVEDATE." | IRLOANRATE : ".IRLOANRATE." |  Environment : ".env"
| fields single_value
| sort 0 _time
| streamstats current=f last(IREFFECTIVEDATE) as priorDate last(_time) as priorTime by env
| where NOT (IREFFECTIVEDATE=priorDate)
| mvcombine single_value delim="
"
| nomv single_value

Streamstats recognizes the changing value but it needs to be split by env.

Any ideas please?

Labels (3)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Your search is selecting just one event (as it uses "| head 1").  How are you comparing two IREFFECTIVEDATE values?

0 Karma

Fe-atSplunk
Explorer

For better visibility I'm showing in Statistics what was sent last (as we get those alerts once an hour). Looking back further I get lost of Events. 

As seen here there are two events per hour, one PROD, one INT but nothing changes from the last entry

FeatSplunk_0-1646841665624.png

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

What's the time range you use in your alert? Last two hours?

0 Karma

Fe-atSplunk
Explorer

That's a good point, the alerts is looking back at the last one hour so it doesn't have anything to compare to. I'll try it with 2 hours. The problem is it takes 2 hours to wait for results

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Based on samples, you're receiving events around 13th minute of every hour so you can setup your alert to run shortly after that (e.g. run on 15th minute) with time-range of last 120 minute so that you'll cover data for this hour and last hour and get your alert sooner.

Fe-atSplunk
Explorer

Sorry that still doesn't work. At the moment the last two logs are both Prod and Stats show one event so it would still trigger an alert even though the value hasn't changed. Any ideas?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this

| streamstats current=f global=f last(IREFFECTIVEDATE) as priorDate last(_time) as priorTime by env
0 Karma

Fe-atSplunk
Explorer

Hi, 

Thanks for your response but it doesn't do anything. The previous event is PROD and the next one is INT, it still creates an incident event though the value of INT is what it always is. 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Here is a runanywhere example showing it working

| gentimes start=-1 increment=1h
| rename starttime as _time
| rename endhuman as IREFFECTIVEDATE
| eval env=mvindex(split("PROD|INT","|"),random()%2)
| streamstats current=f global=f last(IREFFECTIVEDATE) as priorDate last(_time) as priorTime by env
| fieldformat priorTime=strftime(priorTime,"%F %T")

Obviously, if it isn't working for you, something else is amiss!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...