Splunk Search

How to find events immediately following/preceding another event?

AjayTakur
Loves-to-Learn Everything

I have to search for events

I have one event let's say MIT=" step started"
and another event says MIT=" step completed"

Now I have to ensure that both events have been included in my search criteria
in such a way that

Case 1:The first event is started the second event will get completed.

Case 2: If the first event is not started then the second event will also not be complete.
Considering these conditions I need search criteria.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Never use the "transaction" command for production.  Try this:

index="YourIndexHere" AND sourcetype="YourSourcetypeHere" AND MIT IN("step started", step completed")
| stremstats count(eval(MIT="stepstarted")) AS SessionID BY host ```And maybe other fields here```
| stats min(_time) AS _time range(_time) AS duration dc(MIT) AS MITcount values(MIT) AS MIT BY host ``And maybe other fields here```

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AjayTakur 

the question is bit confusion, but, nevertheless, basically you need Splunk's transaction command:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/SearchReference/Transaction#Basic_Examples

Very basic rough draft SPL:

index=a source=b sourcetype=c 
| transaction MIT startswith=" step started" endswith=" step completed" maxspan=2s

Tags (1)
0 Karma

AjayTakur
Loves-to-Learn Everything

for two different events ie., started and successful the successful might not be an event happening after started then, in this case, is this search criteria correct?

index=a source=b | transaction startswith=MIT="Local Step started." endswith=MIT="Copy step successful." keepevicted=true | search closed_txn=0

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...