Splunk Search

How to find all manual searches performed on a single index for a period of 1 month?

splunkfriend123
Engager

Hi Team,

I would like to retrieve following info through Splunk search 

1. List of all splunk searches performed on a single index along with the user list along with timestamp of search performed for a given period ( 1 month or 1 year )  

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

jamie00171
Communicator

Hi @splunkfriend123 ,

This will give you a count by user:

index=_audit TERM(action=search) TERM(info=completed) search=* (TERM(index=my_index) OR TERM(myindex) OR TERM(=my_index))
| rex max_match=0 field=search "index[\s]*=[\s]*(?!_audit)(?<title>[\w_\-\*\"]+)"
| mvexpand title
| eval title = trim(replace(title, "\"", ""))
| search title=my_index
| stats count by user

This will give you a count by user and timestamp:

index=_audit TERM(action=search) TERM(info=completed) search=* (TERM(index=my_index) OR TERM(my_index) OR TERM(=my_index))
| rex max_match=0 field=search "index[\s]*=[\s]*(?!_audit)(?<title>[\w_\-\*\"]+)"
| mvexpand title
| search title=my_index
| stats count by user, _time

just replace my_index with the index name you want to use.

Thanks,

Jamie

0 Karma

jamie00171
Communicator

sorry the first search should be:

index=_audit TERM(action=search) TERM(info=completed) search=* (TERM(index=my_index) OR TERM(my_index) OR TERM(=my_index))
| mvexpand title
| search title=my_index
| stats count by user
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Correct me if I'm wrong but will it catch searches where index is implicit?

0 Karma

jamie00171
Communicator

Hi @PickleRick,

You're right, it won't. I suppose you would need to use a similar rex command to find the sourcetype(s) searched and then if there wasn't an associated index (i.e. it was implicit) use a join or similar with the metadata command to map the sourcetype to an index name? 

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@jamie00171 - Will it have an issue with searches where the index is within a macro?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

I afraid that currently there is no way to find answer to this question. There is no audit log which told if bucket has accessed (read event from it and returned it to search). We have asked this couple of years ago from Splunk Support, and then they put this feature on "future development list".  Maybe it's time to create official request to https://ideas.splunk.com to get it?

Currently you can find those queries which contains index name on SPL, but not other queries. Or at least I don' t know how it's possible. 

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...