Splunk Search

How to extract fields from bluecoat logs?

TheGU
Path Finder

How to extract the log example below:

2010-09-29 16:23:44 2 172.16.106.54 exam.ple Filter-ID==4 - OBSERVED "Search Engines/Portals;News/Media" http://market.example.com/product/1439306 200

I got this from bluecoat server. I can't use DELIMS=" " to extract KV because some fields have a " " (spacebar) too.

for extraction example :

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ziegfried
Influencer

You could use a regular expression to extract the fields. Something like this:

props.conf

[your_sourcetype]
EXTRACT-fields=^[\d\-]+) [\d:]+ (?<FIELD_1>\d+) (?<clientip>[\d\.]+) (?<domain>\S+) Filter\-ID==(?<filter_id>\S+) "(?<url_category>[^"]+)" (?<url>\S+) (?<status>\d+)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Peterman
Explorer

@TheGU wrote:

How to extract the log example below:

2010-09-29 16:23:44 2 172.16.106.54 exam.ple Filter-ID==4 - OBSERVED "Search Engines/Portals;News/Media" http://market.example.com/product/1439306 200

I got this from bluecoat server. I can't use DELIMS=" " to extract KV because some fields have a " " (spacebar) too.

for extraction example :

bluecoat server is awsome man 

0 Karma

ziegfried
Influencer

You could use a regular expression to extract the fields. Something like this:

props.conf

[your_sourcetype]
EXTRACT-fields=^[\d\-]+) [\d:]+ (?<FIELD_1>\d+) (?<clientip>[\d\.]+) (?<domain>\S+) Filter\-ID==(?<filter_id>\S+) "(?<url_category>[^"]+)" (?<url>\S+) (?<status>\d+)
0 Karma

TheGU
Path Finder

I found that transaction may be up to 2kB. Very hard to write a regex to cover all of them. However your answer is Ok. Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...