Splunk Search

How to extract field names against values in one (or more field)?

gordone
Explorer

Hi guys,

Looking for help framing a query for the following scenario:

index=index  "designated field"

Events show the that there are multiple values for the field  (these are log message types):

Type1 

Type2

Type3

TypeN

Want to enumerate all of the fields that are associated with each: designated_field.TypeN (i.e. each log message type has sub-fields associated with each log message type.)

So for Type1:

Field1_Type1

Field2_Type1

Field3_Type1

for Type2:

Field1_Type1

Field2_Type2

etc.

======================================

So I am imagining my query goes like this:

index=index1 designated_field

| <enumerate each of the values in designated_field>

| <pull our the field names for each of the values that were enumerated>

| <form a table with a column listing the values and then a second column showing all of the field names associated with each value>

Labels (3)
0 Karma

gordone
Explorer

Hi ITWhisperer,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I had thought I had responded to this, but it seems the forum ate my reply.

Mock Output:

Time                                  Designated_Field                                                                Sub-Field Name

21:21                                  01 - Logon                                                                             User

Host

Domain

21:22                                02 - Logoff                                                                                User

Host

Domain

21:23                                    04 - IP Address Assigned                                                 Host

Domain

NS Server

IP Type

NOTE: Designated_Field is a field, whose values are extracted and displayed per event, in the third column are the sub-field names associated with the values in the second column.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am not sure I understand the ask here - please can you share some realistic events and a representation of your expected output. Please include the events in a code block </> to preserve the formatting of the events.

0 Karma

gordone
Explorer

Hi ITWhisperer,

Thanks for engaging my question. 

Reponse:

----------------------------------

Time                                     |         Designated_Field                                      |      Sub-Field

21:23                                              01 - Logon                                                           User

Host

Logon Domain

21:25                                                 02 - Logoff                                                         User

Host

Logon Domain

________________________________________________________________________________

So note that (01 - Logon, 02 - Logoff) are the values in the field: Designated_FieldBy contrast, (User, Host, Logon Domain) are field names  (like Designated_Field).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...