Splunk Search
Highlighted

How to extract all fields between a word and two specific characters in a string?

Builder

I have a text as following:

Hello OFF anything blah blah & ^ anything -   )<  OFF anything blo blo & ^ ble -  )< OFF  anything bli bli & ^ ble -  )<

I need to extract all the fields that start with OFF and end with 2 characters )<
In my case, 3 fields need to be extracted.

I wrote a search, but it's only extracting the first occurrence while I want to extract all the fields

sourcetype=imap OFF | rex field=_raw "OFF (?<myfields>.*?)\)\<"
0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: How to extract all fields between a word and two specific characters in a string?

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about this?

rex "(?ms)(?<=OFF )(?<myFields>.*)(?=\)\>)"

If that doesn't work, try it without (?ms).

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: How to extract all fields between a word and two specific characters in a string?

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You might also have to break the source data into one event per line.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Builder

Your regular expression select the field started by OFF and ended with )< into one field but it did not split it into 3 fields , i can't break the source data into one event per line ( its an email while i'm trying to decode )

0 Karma
Highlighted

Builder

I also try it without ms ( the result is the same, one field was selected as following:
Field started with the first concurrence of OFF and ending with the last occurrence of )>

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did it split the desired fields by spaces but into just one field?

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If so we can fix it from there.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Builder

Thanks you.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Legend

This should work (use only the rex command segment)

| gentimes start=-1 | eval _raw="Hello OFF anything blah blah & ^ anything - )< OFF anything blo blo & ^ ble - )< OFF anything bli bli & ^ ble - )<" | rex max_match=0 field=_raw "OFF\s(?<field>[^\)]+)" | table field

View solution in original post