Splunk Search

How to extract a string from a long field containing special characters?

dannili
Communicator

Hi all, I'm trying to use use Rex to extract a specific value from a really long string which contains all kinds of characters. Here's one example:
The string I'm trying to extract:

Output","ToRenderDev":"","FromRenderDevDriver":"","ToRenderDevDriver":"","FromVPN":false,"ToVPN":false,"FromLinkSpeed":146080000,"ToLinkSpeed":1000000000,"FromNetworkConnectionDetail":"wifi","ToNetworkConnectionDetail":"wired","FromIPAddr":"52.114.60.71","ToIPAddr":"52.114.60.71","FromBssid":null,"ToBssid":null,"FromReflexiveLocalIPAddr":"98.210.208.202","ToReflexiveLocalIPAddr":"10.11.180.137","FromWifiDriverDeviceDesc":"","ToWifiDriverDeviceDesc":""

But I only need the IP address 52.114.60.71between the (...ToIPAddr":") and (","FromBssid...). Since the IP address string is between special characters it's kinda tricky to get the new field.

Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks a lot!

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@dannili try the following run anywhere search based on the sample data provided.

| makeresults
| eval _raw=" Output\",\"ToRenderDev\":\"\",\"FromRenderDevDriver\":\"\",\"ToRenderDevDriver\":\"\",\"FromVPN\":false,\"ToVPN\":false,\"FromLinkSpeed\":146080000,\"ToLinkSpeed\":1000000000,\"FromNetworkConnectionDetail\":\"wifi\",\"ToNetworkConnectionDetail\":\"wired\",\"FromIPAddr\":\"52.114.60.71\",\"ToIPAddr\":\"52.114.60.71\",\"FromBssid\":null,\"ToBssid\":null,\"FromReflexiveLocalIPAddr\":\"98.210.208.202\",\"ToReflexiveLocalIPAddr\":\"10.11.180.137\",\"FromWifiDriverDeviceDesc\":\"\",\"ToWifiDriverDeviceDesc\":\"\""
| rex "ToIPAddr\":\"(?<ToIPAddr>[^\"]+)\",\"FromBssid\""

The rex command required is | rex "ToIPAddr\":\"(?<ToIPAddr>[^\"]+)\",\"FromBssid\""

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@dannili try the following run anywhere search based on the sample data provided.

| makeresults
| eval _raw=" Output\",\"ToRenderDev\":\"\",\"FromRenderDevDriver\":\"\",\"ToRenderDevDriver\":\"\",\"FromVPN\":false,\"ToVPN\":false,\"FromLinkSpeed\":146080000,\"ToLinkSpeed\":1000000000,\"FromNetworkConnectionDetail\":\"wifi\",\"ToNetworkConnectionDetail\":\"wired\",\"FromIPAddr\":\"52.114.60.71\",\"ToIPAddr\":\"52.114.60.71\",\"FromBssid\":null,\"ToBssid\":null,\"FromReflexiveLocalIPAddr\":\"98.210.208.202\",\"ToReflexiveLocalIPAddr\":\"10.11.180.137\",\"FromWifiDriverDeviceDesc\":\"\",\"ToWifiDriverDeviceDesc\":\"\""

The rex command required is | rex "ToIPAddr\":\"(?<ToIPAddr>[^\"]+)\",\"FromBssid\""

dannili
Communicator

@niketnilay Thanks for your quick response. I have a follow up question tho, what if I have a column full of values like this, the eval_raw wouldn't work this time, would it? Is there a more general way?

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@dannili, eval _raw is used just to generate dummy data as per your question. You need just the rex command after it.

<yourSearchToGetRawEvents>

Eventually once you have tested the regular expression in the rex command, you should move the same to Knowledge Object using Field Extraction.

dannili
Communicator

@niketnilay I got it! Thanks a lot!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...