Splunk Search

How to extract 3 characters after a given string in Splunk?

avneet26
Engager

I want to extract the two characters 78 from the barvalue  and have it in a separate column in my table:-

deltavalue = 890(11%) sigmavalue=334(56%) barvalue=445(78%)

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your title says 3 characters, yet the opening sentence says 2 characters.  Which is it?  Also, are you trying to extract all 2-character strings before the percent sign (%) or only the last one?  Specifics are very important when you ask data questions.

Assuming that you only want the last percentage, you can do

| rex field=barvalue "\(?<barpercent>\d+)%\)"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your title says 3 characters, yet the opening sentence says 2 characters.  Which is it?  Also, are you trying to extract all 2-character strings before the percent sign (%) or only the last one?  Specifics are very important when you ask data questions.

Assuming that you only want the last percentage, you can do

| rex field=barvalue "\(?<barpercent>\d+)%\)"
0 Karma

avneet26
Engager

Ah my bad. sorry not three characters. only two numbers i want which is 78 

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In that case, the code provided above should suffice. (You should have a field named barvalue.  Correct?)

0 Karma

avneet26
Engager

barvalue is the search string in my _raw field. 

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@avneet26 wrote:

barvalue is the search string in my _raw field. 

Are you the admin? If not, you should ask them to make sure obvious key-value pairs are extracted; in fact, unless there is any special settings, Splunk extracts "a=b" in _raw as value "b" assigned to field "a". by default.  With that, my first code should give you a new field barpercent.

But if your admin is uncooperative, you can do something like

| rex "barvalue=\d+\((?<barpercent>\d+)%\)"

Hope this helps. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...