Splunk Search

How to extract 2 fields in same "rex"?

dickersons
Explorer

Hi,

I have a search where I am attempting to extracting 2 different fields from one string response using "rex":

1st Field: rex \"traceId\"\s:\s\"?(?<traceId>.*?)\"

2nd Field: rex "\"statusCode\"\s:\s\"?(?&lt;tstatusCode&gt;2\d{2}|4\d{2}|5\d{2})\"?"

I am attempting to "dedup" the 1st field (traceId) before I pipe those results into the 2nd field (statusCode).  I have attempted multiple variation based on Splunk threads and other internet resources.  Below is the query I am making:

index=myCoolIndex cluster_name="myCoolCluster" sourcetype=myCoolSourceType label_app=myCoolApp ("\"statusCode\"") | rex \"traceId\"\s:\s\"?(?<traceId>.*?)\" | dedup traceId | rex "\"statusCode\"\s:\s\"?(?&lt;tstatusCode&gt;2\d{2}|4\d{2}|5\d{2})\"?"

//I have tried a lot of other permutations this is just one

Below is the response from the log (looks like JSON but it is string type):

\\Sample Log (Looks like JSON object, but its a string):
"{
  "correlationId" : "",
  "message" : "",
  "tracePoint" : "",
  "priority" : "",
  "category" : "",
  "elapsed" : 0,
  "locationInfo" : {
    "lineInFile" : "",
    "component" : "",
    "fileName" : "",
    "rootContainer" : ""
  },
  "timestamp" : "",
  "content" : {
    "message" : "",
    "originalError" : {
      "statusCode" : "200",
      "errorPayload" : {
        "error" : ""
      }
    },
    "standardizedError" : {
      "statusCode" : "500",
      "errorPayload" : {
        "errors" : [ {
          "error" : {
            "traceId" : "9539510-d8771da0-a7ce-11ed-921c-d6a73926c0ac",
            "errorCode" : "",
            "errorDescription" : ""
            "errorDetails" : ""
          }
        } ]
      }
    }
  },
}"

The intent of the query is to:

Extract field "traceId", then "dedup" "traceId" (to remove duplicates), then extract field "statusCode" and sort "statusCode" values.

When running these regEx's independently of eachother they work as expected, but I need to combine them into one query as I will be creating charts on my next step.....  All help is appreciated.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This will get the _first_ statuscode (200)

| rex "(?s)\"statusCode\"\s:\s\"?(?<statusCode>2\d{2}|4\d{2}|5\d{2})\"?.*\"traceId\"\s:\s\"?(?<traceId>.*?)\".*"

The (?s) allows .* to span multiple lines (. = LF matching).

This will get the _last_ status code

| rex max_match=0 "(?s).*\"statusCode\"\s:\s\"?(?<statusCode>[245]\d{2})\"?.*\"traceId\"\s:\s\"?(?<traceId>.*?)\""

i.e. by starting the regex with a greedy .* before the statusCode it will consume everything up to the last occurrence of statusCode, that exists BEFORE the traceId

View solution in original post

dickersons
Explorer

Works as stated above.  Thanks much for the assistance!

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This will get the _first_ statuscode (200)

| rex "(?s)\"statusCode\"\s:\s\"?(?<statusCode>2\d{2}|4\d{2}|5\d{2})\"?.*\"traceId\"\s:\s\"?(?<traceId>.*?)\".*"

The (?s) allows .* to span multiple lines (. = LF matching).

This will get the _last_ status code

| rex max_match=0 "(?s).*\"statusCode\"\s:\s\"?(?<statusCode>[245]\d{2})\"?.*\"traceId\"\s:\s\"?(?<traceId>.*?)\""

i.e. by starting the regex with a greedy .* before the statusCode it will consume everything up to the last occurrence of statusCode, that exists BEFORE the traceId

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex "\"statusCode\"\s:\s\"?(?<statusCode>2\d{2}|4\d{2}|5\d{2})\".*?\"traceId\"\s:\s\"?(?<traceId>.*?)\"" | dedup traceId
0 Karma

dickersons
Explorer

This does not produce a match in Splunk or regex101.......

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex "(?ms)\"statusCode\"\s:\s\"?(?<statusCode>2\d{2}|4\d{2}|5\d{2})\".*?\"traceId\"\s:\s\"?(?<traceId>.*?)\"" | dedup traceId
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...