Splunk Search

How to export events as JSON format?

sutom
Path Finder

Hi All,

I am trying to export events in JSON format, and I am able to do it, and getting events like the one below.

{"preview":false,"result":{"_raw":"{\"tomLogs\":[{\"component\":\"tom\"}]}}}

But the My expectation of having these events in an array with commas separated like the below format.

[
{"preview":false,"result":{"_raw":"{\"tomLogs\":[{\"component\":\"tom\"}]}}},
{"preview":false,"result":{"_raw":"{\"tomLogs\":[{\"component\":\"tom\"}]}}},
]

Please provide some references that can help to export events in the expected format.

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@sutom - I would say the export is correct, add the [ (square brackets) and , (commas) in the exported file manually by regex replace in any advance text/code editor.

This would be the simplest option to what you want to achive. You can also write a small python script to do that we well.

I hope this helps!!!

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The question is really "how to export events as JSON array."  Is this correct?  The result you got are a sequence of perfectly correct JSON events.

If you want all those events exported to one big array, why not put all events in one big array?  Like

| stats values(_raw) as jumbo_raw

The export will then look like

{"preview":false,"result":{"_raw":[
{"tomLogs":[{"component":"tom"}]},
{"tomLogs":[{"component":"tom"}]},
{"tomLogs":[{"component":"tom"}]}
]}
}

Will this array do? Otherwise you can write a simple script to convert a series of JSON objects into a JSON array.

0 Karma

FelixLeh
Contributor

Have you tried using "KV_MODE = json" in props.conf where the corresponding Sourcetype is defined?

[your_sourcetype]
KV_MODE = json
#your other settings for the sourcetype:
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...