Splunk Search

How to exclude lines from a log --IndexQueue

IreneAsdfgk
Engager

We are trying to index only events that contain a certain structure set by a regular expression: \ S + \ s \ S + \ s \ ((\ S + | \ w + | ./ \ w +) ) : \ s (DATE | END | Running).
However, when we assign the indexQueue property in transforms.conf, it doesn't work:

[takedata]
REGEX = \ S + \ s \ S + \ s \ ((\ S + | \ w + | ./ \ w +) \) \: \ s (DATE | END | Running)
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = indexQueue

If we do it with the nullQueue, we exclude the rows that correspond to that expression.

[excludedata]
REGEX = \ S + \ s \ S + \ s \ ((\ S + | \ w + | ./ \ w +) \) \: \ s (DATE | END | Running)
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

Can any help us?

Thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

oscar84x
Contributor

You need to do both and in the specific order as explained in the link below. What this does is "send everything to the nullQueue, except the events that match this regex". Like this:

[your_sourcetype]
TRANSFORMS-set= excludedata,takedata

[excludedata]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[takedata]
REGEX = \ S + \ s \ S + \ s \ ((\ S + | \ w + | ./ \ w +) ) : \ s (DATE | END | Running)
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = indexQueue

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/8.0.0/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad#Filter_event_...

View solution in original post

oscar84x
Contributor

You need to do both and in the specific order as explained in the link below. What this does is "send everything to the nullQueue, except the events that match this regex". Like this:

[your_sourcetype]
TRANSFORMS-set= excludedata,takedata

[excludedata]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[takedata]
REGEX = \ S + \ s \ S + \ s \ ((\ S + | \ w + | ./ \ w +) ) : \ s (DATE | END | Running)
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = indexQueue

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/8.0.0/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad#Filter_event_...

IreneAsdfgk
Engager

'in the specific order ' has been the key for resolution. Thanks you very much!!!!!!!!

0 Karma

rashi83
Path Finder

@oscar84x @IreneAsdfgk

Can you let me know if you tweaked outputs.conf too ?
I am facing same issue - I can't filter in events to include events but exclude filter works. My config is running on standalone SH .
I added in outputs.conf too - how can I make it work ?

[tcpout:setparsing]
server=localhost:8000

Props.conf
[OktaIM2:log]
TRANSFORMS-set= setnull,setparsing

transforms.conf
[setnull]
REGEX=gmail.com
DEST_KEY=queue
FORMAT=nullQueue
[setparsing]
REGEX=yahoo.com
DEST_KEY=queue
FORMAT=indexQueue

0 Karma

oscar84x
Contributor

Excellent! Glad to help. If you have a chance please mark the answer as accepted.
Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...