Splunk Search

How to edit my timechart search to show average CPU utilization in 1 minute increments (on chart as well)?

timmy13
Communicator

I'm trying to use the following search...

index=os sourcetype=cpu host=sp3ctxps01  | multikv fields pctIdle  | eval Percent_CPU_Load = 100 - pctIdle  | timechart span=1m avg(Percent_CPU_Load) by host

I'm getting the right data, but the chart appears to be showing the number of events, not the cpu load.

Thanks in advance for pointing out my mistake here.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The search you gave should be doing exactly as you describe: it will timechart the avg value of field Percent_CPU_Load every minute, PROVIDED field pctIdle is as you imply it to be, which may not be the case. Could it be that you are expecting a single value, not a timeseries? If so, then use this:

index=os sourcetype=cpu host=sp3ctxps01  | multikv fields pctIdle  | eval Percent_CPU_Load = 100 - pctIdle  | stats avg(Percent_CPU_Load) by host
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...