Splunk Search

How to edit my search to find hosts and sources that are not sending logs to Splunk?

syed_star357

Hi Team,

How to search which are the hosts and Sources not sending logs to Splunk? The below metadata search shows only host. How can I include source in results?

I need columns for source, Host, lasttime, and duration.

|metadata index!=network* index=win* index=lin* type=hosts  | table host sourcetype lastTime | stats max(lastTime) as lastTime by host | eval diff = now()-lastTime | where diff > 3600|sort - diff | eval lastTime=strftime(lastTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") |eval Duration=tostring(diff,"duration")|fields - diff

Regards,
Syed

0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

Try this

|tstats latest(_time) as lastTime where (index=win* OR index=lin*) by host,source
|eval diff = now()-lastTime | where diff > 3600
|sort - diff | eval lastTime=strftime(lastTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") 
|eval Duration=tostring(diff,"duration")|fields - diff

You need to select timerange according to your requirements

Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

renjith_nair
Legend

Try this

|tstats latest(_time) as lastTime where (index=win* OR index=lin*) by host,source
|eval diff = now()-lastTime | where diff > 3600
|sort - diff | eval lastTime=strftime(lastTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") 
|eval Duration=tostring(diff,"duration")|fields - diff

You need to select timerange according to your requirements

Happy Splunking!

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please check this.. just did a reordering. You will need to add that table command in the last..

|metadata index!=network* index=win* index=lin* type=hosts | stats max(lastTime) as lastTime by host | eval diff = now()-lastTime | where diff > 3600|sort - diff | eval lastTime=strftime(lastTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") |eval Duration=tostring(diff,"duration") | table host sourcetype lastTime
0 Karma

syed_star357

metadata take one values only host or either sourcetype, if i give below search will get only blank data in sourcetype and lasttime fields.

|metadata index!=network* index=win* index=lin* type=hosts | stats max(lastTime) as lastTime by host | eval diff = now()-lastTime | where diff > 3600|sort - diff | eval lastTime=strftime(lastTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") |eval Duration=tostring(diff,"duration") | table host sourcetype lastTime
0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Syed, can you update us if you are able to find the devices which are not sending logs..
if you have missed, as you are a new member, can you please accept this as an answer

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can run the following search to detect forwarders that have been up in the last 24 hours but not in the last 2 minutes. It uses the forwarder heartbeat, which is a feature of Splunk versions 3.2 and later.

index=_internal sourcetype="fwd-hb" starthoursago=24 | dedup host | eval age = strftime("%s","now") - _time | search age > 120 age < 86000

You can set this search up as an alert every several minutes so that Splunk will let you know if any of your active forwarders have not responded in the last 2 minutes.

If you're running a version of Splunk that is later than 3.3', the heartbeat message is not longer sent. Use the following search instead:

index=_internal "group=tcpin_connections" | stats max(_time) as latest by sourceHost | eventstats max(latest) as latest_all | eval lag = latest_all - latest | where lag > 120 | fields sourceHost lag
0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I need to column of source,Host,lasttime and duration. // Finding source and host together may not be a good method I think. For example, if a host has not sent an event means, all sources/sourcetype s from that host also has not an event.
A source/sourcetype which is sending events properly from one host may not be sending any events from another host. So finding source/sourcetype may not be useful I think.
Or, do you have other reasons for looking source/sourcetype?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...