Splunk Search

How to edit my search to aggregate values from a single sample rather than all events in the time range?

neha10
Engager

Hi ,

I have a scripted input in my app which is polling data every 60 minutes. This data brings a particular field writeIOps for 8 different volumes per controller from a storage product. I am looking to create a timechart to show sum of all writeIOps per controller so I need to do sum of all writeIOps for 8 volumes at a time and plot that sample on the chart. Basically the goal is to see at any point in time what was the total writeIOps for a particular controller and that data can come when i add writeIOps from all 8 volumes.

Query looks like following

Index=A host="998048d1-831d-4a92-836a-7a4893524925" | timechart sum(writeIOps) AS writes by controllerLabel

But it looks like this data changes depending on the time frame you use in your dashboard. For example, we are calling a particular REST end point every 60 seconds and it is giving us writeIOps fields for 8 volumes (1 event per volume) per controller in a single sample at time T1. We are expecting to aggregate writeIOPs fields for only 8 volumes and plot that value on a time chart for that time T1. But the above query does not do that. Query will apply the search condition on all data that came in a given timeframe and do aggregation and plot a single value on a timechart. If a user is looking at 5 minutes span, the REST endpoint must have been called 5 times and we should have total 40 events per controller. Above query will do sum of writeIOps field from 40 events and plot a single value. How should I fix my query so that it is aggregating values from a single sample( 8 events only) rather then all events in the time frame?

Thanks

0 Karma

jdwest1
Explorer

Example: "| timechart max(mag) span=6h by place", Set the span=x to only include one timeframe of data points. It will sample in little chunks of data(time) that way. At least, I think that is what you are asking.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...