Splunk Search

How to dynamically select column in an XY series?

ajones
Explorer

Hello!

I am currently trying to dynamically select columns in my output that are generated by an xyseries.

I am comparing the difference in columns over a period of times, and I am running my y_field as the dates that dynamically change depending on the range selected. For example:

2023-06-04         2023-06-11

10                                     5

15                                  18

Without resulting to renaming the columns to something static like "Week 1" and "Week 2" and be able to still eval the two columns to get the mathematical difference. Sometime like:

eval DIFF=datecolumn[1]-datecolumn[0].

Thank you!

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

danspav
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ajones,

Here's a way you can get the difference - as long as your columns are in the right order (<week1>, <week2>)

The first section of the search is just to recreate your data.

| makeresults count=2
| streamstats count as id
| eval "2023-06-04"=if(id=1,10,15), "2023-06-11"=if(id=1,5,18)
| table 2023*
``` That was just to create dummy data ```

| foreach * [| eval total=if(isnull(total),0,total) | eval total=total+1| eval DIFF=if(total=1, -1* '<<FIELD>>', DIFF + '<<FIELD>>')] 
| fields - total

The second piece creates a "total" field, then we work out the difference for all columns.

We minus the first column, and add the second column - which gives us week2 - week1. 

This method needs the first week to be listed first and the second week second.  You can have the dates in any format, so "2023-06-04" will work just as well as "June 4, 2023".

danspav_2-1686962905951.png

Cheers,
Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Karma

danspav
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ajones,

Here's a way you can get the difference - as long as your columns are in the right order (<week1>, <week2>)

The first section of the search is just to recreate your data.

| makeresults count=2
| streamstats count as id
| eval "2023-06-04"=if(id=1,10,15), "2023-06-11"=if(id=1,5,18)
| table 2023*
``` That was just to create dummy data ```

| foreach * [| eval total=if(isnull(total),0,total) | eval total=total+1| eval DIFF=if(total=1, -1* '<<FIELD>>', DIFF + '<<FIELD>>')] 
| fields - total

The second piece creates a "total" field, then we work out the difference for all columns.

We minus the first column, and add the second column - which gives us week2 - week1. 

This method needs the first week to be listed first and the second week second.  You can have the dates in any format, so "2023-06-04" will work just as well as "June 4, 2023".

danspav_2-1686962905951.png

Cheers,
Daniel

0 Karma

ajones
Explorer

Awesome, thank you so much! I had to make some slight modifications for it to not concatenate my other column, namely splitting and using mvindex to capture the right data. Overall works great!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...