Splunk Search

How to dynamically generate Splunk search queries for Splunk alerts based on alert search times?

FutureSight
Engager

In order for me to create appropriate Splunk alerts for a certain process, I need to be able to dynamically generate the searches used by the alert based on the search time used for the search. I emphasize "search time", because a lot of Splunk's functionality is based on the event time.

When searching from StartSearchDate=YYYY_MM_DD at HH:MM:SS to EndSearchDate=YYYY_MM_DD at HH:MM:SS , I need to search for the following in a log: DataFile_($StartSearchDate - 1 day).dat

The full search query will be:
DataFile_($StartSearchDate - 1 day).dat + "Some static string"

For example:
With the search time range as 01/25/2014 03:00 - 01/25/2014 05:00, the search will be
DataFile_20140124.dat + "Some static string"

I will also need to take care of edge cases such as the first day of a new year and of a new month.

Example: First day of 2014
DataFile_20131231.dat + "Some static string"

Example: First day of December 2014
DataFile_20141130.dat + "Some static string"

Is there a way to do this using Splunk alerts?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (3)
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can build your query in a subsearch to utilize the time range.

index=foo
[ stats count | addinfo
| eval query = "DataFile_" + strftime(relative_time(info_min_time, "-d"), "%Y%m%d") + ".dat some static string"
| fields query
]
other filters go here | more processing

The subsearch will evaluate to whatever that query field contains. Using the magic field name query avoids the default behaviour of turning the subsearch into a fieldname="value" filter.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can build your query in a subsearch to utilize the time range.

index=foo
[ stats count | addinfo
| eval query = "DataFile_" + strftime(relative_time(info_min_time, "-d"), "%Y%m%d") + ".dat some static string"
| fields query
]
other filters go here | more processing

The subsearch will evaluate to whatever that query field contains. Using the magic field name query avoids the default behaviour of turning the subsearch into a fieldname="value" filter.

marcoscala
Builder

Great! I'd like to use the same method to crete a macro to create a condition in a search to analyze Twitter data.
I have a form with some inputs fields the user can fill to select filters in a search. I have a "Hashtag" fiel with a default "" value, but if the user doesn't specify a value, I want add the "" condition, not the "entities.hashtags{}.text=*" condition, because I want to extract tweets even if the entities.hashtags{}.text is not present (if the tweet hasn't any hashtag, there's no field at all).

I've tried something like:

index=twitter lang=* [search * | head 1| eval query = if("$field$" == "*","*","entities.hashtags{}.text=$field$") | fields query | format "" "" "" "" "" ""]

which works only if $field$=="*", otherwise if the value in the input field is "myhashtag" the subsearch returns
"entities.hashtags{}.text=myhashtag" which doesn't match (Splunk looks for the STRING "entities.hashtags{}.text=myhashtag"

Basically I should find a way to strip the "" at the beginning and end of the field "query".

Any idea?

Regards,
Marco

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...