Splunk Search

How to drop extra fields while maintaining groupby?

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To groupby?  Or not to groupby?  That is the question. (Not really.  The question arises because trellis splitby seems to depend on an invisible groupby register.)

Take the following example:

| makeresults count=10
| eval value = "value" . random() % 3
| stats count by value
| eventstats sum(count) as total
| eval ratio = count / total

If I want to visualize ratio as single value in trellis, I can add `| fields - total count` in the end.

groupby.png

But if there are many intermediate variables, it gets tedious to list them for dropping.  I thought `table value ratio` would be simpler, as statistics table is exactly the same, but SPL's invisible hand prevents splitby from seeing the original groupby field, so I get weird output like

groupbynot.png

I can avoid tedious `fields -` listing by doing another stats with groupby, e.g., `stats values(ratio) as ratio by value`.

groupbydouble.png

But I feel silly to do a useless calculation.  Is there a simpler way to preserve groupby register without the tedious listing?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I just realize that I can carefully name intermediate variables so I can drop them with wildcard.  But is there any SPL answer to the original question?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...